Saturday, July 16, 2005

What menacing mental health cuts really mean for Missouri

Dr. Howard Rosenthal

I recently received a call from a local community college counselor who needed a referral for a student in need. That’s an easy one, I thought. As I rattled off referral after referral the counselor indicated that she had already tried each and every one of them without success. Many were sporting new messages on their voice mail indicating they weren’t taking any clients due to budget cuts or impending budget cuts. I regret to report that I was not able to provide her with a suitable referral.

Many of my students are placed at a well-known agency that helps substance abusers. One of the counselors confided in me that if the governor unleashes his entire budget cut package their agency (like the platypus) would be extinct.

“But where would the clients go if that occurs?” I asked.

“I don’t have a clue,” replied the counselor.

Perhaps the coup de grace took place not long ago when I attended a fundraiser for a large agency that helps a lot of folks in the St. Louis and St. Charles area. Hundreds of people came to pay tribute to the agency and all they had accomplished. The decibel level from the audience clapping rivaled that of a major league baseball game. That is, until one of the directors of the agency stood up and revealed that if the governor secured his budget cuts not one program we were clapping for would exist!

Some budget cuts that were spared this year will resurface again next year. If you know someone who works for a mental health agency or is a client at an agency they may ask you to sign a petition.

Will you be willing to provide your John Hancock? Now is the time for all good men and women to come to the aid of your fellow citizens. The ball is in your court.

Dr. Howard Rosenthal is the author of a number of books including the Encyclopedia of Counseling. His website is www.howardrosenthal.com.