Saturday, July 16, 2005

My Column - Mike McMurran Sports Editor

Next Tuesday, July 19th, should prove to be one of my proudest moments as a dad. Regular readers know I am pretty much a sports guy – that’s how I got the job. Not so much professional sports as much as youth sports, pretty much any youth sport, including soccer. Well, on Tuesday one of my children is going to make the big time – do what they do best in front of a crowd of tens of thousands, literally. One of children is going to do what they do best at Busch Memorial Stadium. No, as good of a third baseman as Joe is, he will not be filling in for Scott Rolen. As strong of a hitter as Dee is turning out to be, he will not be stepping to the plate. My favorite daughter, Maggie Kurtz McMurran, a.k.a Maggie or Margot, will step to the home plate area of Busch Memorial Stadium and sing the National Anthem. She is not yet ready to perform solo, although someday I suspect she will; she will be performing with Patt Holt’s Just Kids and Connection. Think about the pressure on a nine year old to perform in front of such and audience. The children and young adults have been well trained and schooled; Laurie Strickland has literally put hundreds of hours in with the 8-14 year olds. Patt herself prepares the high school kids.

Speaking of Laurie Strickland, this past Friday I had the dubious distinction of being the only democrat in a golf foursome consisting of Jeff Strickland, Geoff Yothers and the grand wizard of the Republican Party, Rob Strumpf. The golf was great, the weather fine, but the conversation, the conversation was terrible. How an educated person can think our boy governor is making progress is beyond me. Then they try to use the argument “Heh, everybody in St. Charles is a Republican.” Guess what guys, no they are not. Now, before those who like to complain about my talking politics in the Sports Section, mainly Amy and Greg Almus, let me remind you this all happened on the golf course. Golf is a sport, so there! Unfortunately it is going to get worse before it gets better. By the time most of you pick up this fine weekly and begin reading it with your Saturday morning coffee, Lynn and I will be on a golf/shopping/boating outing to the Lake of the Ozarks. That in itself is great news. Joining us will be the Family Lemke (Republicans), Family Kruse (Republicans) and the Family Francis (Republicans). Once again we will be golfing and boating so there family Alums.

It’s a shame the way coach Wyatt’s River City Rage exited the NIFL playoffs so soon. Many thought they had a shot to go the entire way. I was talking to one of their owners, Scott Wilson during the game, and he shared with me that the team would definitely be back next season. I know everywhere I read the players and coaches said playing at Saviis Center would not be a distraction, but I never bought it for a minute. The hometown indoor football team has now made it to the playoffs two years running; they have yet to play a home playoff game. If the crowd Sunday night had showed up at Family Arena, it just might have given the Rage the extra push they needed. Then again, someone suggested that for most of the guys, winning their conference title was the first thing any of them had won on any level. Better luck next year guys; maybe next year those in charge can black out the playoff dates at the Family Arena. While I am at it, the same needs to be said for the River Otters. If you ask me what happened I will say it is next to impossible to win in football when 1/3 of your starting offensive line in on crutches, as was the case with The Rage.

By the way, on Sunday as I picked up Mr. Barton to attend the game, don’t think I didn’t notice the “Bush/Cheney” sign in the back of his car. Man I tell ya, they are everywhere.