Sunday, June 19, 2005

ThAT'S MY OPINION - Councilman Bob Hoepfner

Hello again out there. We are back for another week in review. I was thinking about our municipal court judge, Mr. Barklage. I haven’t heard any more about Mr. Barklage holding two positions. That as Municipal Judge and on the Board of Trustees for the Junior College District. I still believe this is wrong. That's the way I interpret the law. But then again I am not a student of the law. Like yourself I am usually the victim.

You know, these judges take great liberties. They don’t give you the law, they give you their opinion of the law. For instance, did you hear about the guy who had 8 or 10 DWI’s and is still out driving around? Perhaps endangering the lives of our fine citizens. Now I am not here to say our municipal judge would do something like that.

However, I know of a case where a pit bull chewed off the ear of another dog. The pit bull is allowed to continue to run loose. What I find strange about this is the owner of this animal was ordered by the judge several months ago to construct a pen under our vicious dog ordinance to contain his animal. The ordinance also calls for a $100,000 liability bond for the dog. The dog must be photographed and a danger sign posted on the fence.

My friends, not only was none of this done but the guy doesn’t even show up in court. My question is, why hasn’t the judge cited this guy for contempt? The police cannot even confiscate the dog.

The pit bull is still allowed to run loose on weekends in the neighborhood. Now, I am not trying to influence the court. But I don’t understand why the judge, at the next court date, wouldn’t follow the city’s laws and do something with the owner of this animal. Does it take a child or senior citizen being attacked by this dog before the judge will react?

Well, this brings me to the point where I need to tell you my friends. The Council has talked about a second judge because obviously this judge can’t handle the work load. I am going to press for a second judge. We will leave this judge for speeding violations and have the second judge handle domestic, nuisance and code violations. That way we can get some public interest judgements handed down.

This my friends, is a classic example of we the public being the victim while our protection under the law is being ignored.

In closing, far be it for me to ruffle the feathers of this judge. Hopefully he can see the bigger picture and accept constructive criticism and do the right thing for the public.

That's all for this week. Remember, call me any time, 949-0956 or stop by 425 Nantucket. I am always happy to speak with our fine taxpayers.