Sunday, June 19, 2005

MY COLUMN - Mike McMurran Sports Editor

Soon, the ballpark known by generations, as Busch Memorial Stadium will be no more. There are valid arguments, on both sides, as to whether or not a new stadium is needed, but looking at the progression of the construction of Busch III makes such arguments a moot point.

My first game was at Busch I, in 1964. Never will I forget what most impressed me as I walked into the stadium for the first time – the vast ocean of green. The Cardinals had just traded away one of their more popular pitchers for a little known outfielder by the name of Lou Brock, and I was going to see him play in person. Funny, I can still remember which Cardinal was at each position: 1B-Bill White, 2B-Julian Javier, SS-Dick Groat, 3B-Kenny Boyer (my favorite), LF-Brock, CF-Curt Flood, RF-Mike Shannon, C-Tim McCarver. I think, maybe, what “hooked” me was that the Cardinals made it to the World Series my first year of being a fan. Not only did they make it to the Series, they played the big, bad New York Yankees. Roger Maris, Mickey Mantel, Whitey Ford, Elston Howard – it doesn’t get much better than that. Oh, yeah it does – the games were played during the day, and we were allowed to watch them, at school, on TV.

These memories all came back this past weekend as I was lucky enough to see the Cardinals and Yankees play each other for the first time in St. Louis since 1964. It was something I had been looking forward to for years. For the longest time I would say “I just hope I live long enough to see another Cardinal/Yankee World Series,” that is until it almost happened.

Lynn and I were at game 5 of the National League Championship Series between the Cardinals and Braves; the Cardinals held a 3 games to 1 lead. Prior to the game the deciding game of the American League Championship Series was shown on the jumbo screen in right field – the Yankees won, earning a pass to the World Series – then it hit me – the Cardinals were one win away from a Cardinal/Yankee World Series. All of a sudden the quote “I just hope to live long enough to see another Cardinal/Yankee World Series” seemed like a, like a death wish. I had been saying it for so long, thinking it would never happen, that I really thought it would happen long after I was dead and gone.

Luckily for me, the Braves came back and won the final three games of the Series, and the Cardinal/Yankee Series never was. I learned my lesson and have never since uttered the infamous quote. Being at the Cardinal/Yankee regular season game was the next best thing, maybe even better considering it threatened not my mortality.

So Busch Stadium II will be no more after this season; man do the memories come flowing out: I was at game 7 of the ’82 World Series (yes I have the stubs), Lou Brock’s 3000th hit (no stubs), Bob Forsch’s first no-hitter (no stubs) and Mark McGuire’s grand slam on opening day – the only grand slam on opening day by a Cardinal in Busch II.

What better time to introduce my “Busch Memorial Stadium II All Cardinal Team.” 1B-Keith Hernandez, 2B- Tommy Herr, SS-Ozzie Smith, 3B-Kenny Reitz (its my team, I’ll name who I want), LF-Lou Brock, CF-Willie McGee, RF-George Hendrick, C-Ted Simmons. The starting pitcher would have to be Bob Gibson, with Bruce Sutter getting the save.