Saturday, January 15, 2005

THE PEOPLE SPEAK - Letters to the Editor

Dear Mr. Brockmeyer:

I would like to reply to the article in your January 8 – 14, 2005 edition about the Dottie Greer recall. First of all, what does my past legal problem have to do with any of this? If you are discrediting me because I made a bad decision 22 months ago, I guess we can pretty much throw anything you do out the window. What I did was wrong, and I make no excuses; I am both sorry and embarrassed for what happened. The last thing I would do is throw stones at another persons because of their past. You, on the other hand, do it on a weekly basis. The people that you bash week after week have never spent time in a federal prison like you. They can’t tell you what it is like to go to bed under lock and key every night, eat prison food, wear an orange jump suit, shower with other men, be strip searched and any other experiences you had in prison. You should do a whole series in your newspaper about what it is like to serve time in a federal prison. I think that is something your readers would enjoy.

In your article you point out that I voted for what the city staff wanted. You make it sound like that is a bad thing. In fact that is pretty much the basis of your newspaper, “The Mayor and City Staff versus the Taxpayer”. When I was in office I relied heavily on the staff’s recommendation; that is why they are there. I can’t tell you how to engineer a street, run a police department, give legal opinions or speak intelligently on tourism trends. But, I knew where to find the answers. St. Charles City Staff members have all gone through an extensive hiring process and were hired because they were the best person for the job. So, not only is it a good idea to listen to city staff, it’s the right thing to do. Have you ever asked yourself, what a city employee has to gain by wasting the taxpayer’s money?

Most city employees are good people who have no personal agenda; they just want to do a good job and be appreciated. That is not happening. They are disgruntled because the city council questions almost everything they do. Recently, the city council hosted a Christmas party for the city employees and board and commission members. The city has over 420 full time employees; including part-timers that number is over 500. It’s my understanding that less than 25 city employees showed up to share peace on earth and good will with Ms. Greer and the rest of the city council. What does that tell you? In my opinion it’s clear: the city employees are very unhappy with the current city council. It’s my guess that the 20 or so employees that did attend did so out of fear of retribution.

The city’s annual budget is around 95 million dollars; over 85% of the general fund goes to salaries and benefits. If it is the job of the city council to manage the city’s money and 85% of the general fund is disgruntled, the council is failing. What kind of service do you think the taxpayers can expect from a city employee who hates his/her job and employers?

When I was in office, I took no less than 20 phone calls and emails from Ms. Greer and her husband Rich. The complaints varied, but I always replied with an honest answer. The Greer’s were never satisfied with my answers, so I finally told them that I would not be taking any more of their complaints. They basically said I was lying to them and I wasn’t. Mr. and Ms. Greer came down to a council meeting and during the public comment section stated that I didn’t respond to their phone calls and emails. Then, they both proceeded to read from an email that I recently sent them. In the email I told them, that if they thought more people agreed with their philosophy on how the city should be run, then, they should run for Ward 7 council seat. Dottie did, and won a five-person race with 27% of the total votes cast. I’m fine with that; the people spoke, and it was clear that they have had enough of Dan Gould. I do not have sour grapes about the election and have no desire to return to politics. That’s not what this is about. There is nothing in this for me, and there never has been.

Linda Meyer contacted me and asked if I would participate in a recall effort of Ms. Greer. After the way Ms. Greer treated me, I told her I would be happy to sign the recall petition. When I initially said I would sign the petition I assumed that I would be one of 750 signatures. I later realized that Linda was asking me to be one of the five committee members to initiate the recall. I knew then what I was in for; I told her how your newspaper would report this. Still, I left my name on the petition because I believe it is the right thing to do. Like clockwork, you did just what I told her you would. A lopsided report making one of your supporters look good and bashing a former councilmember who disagrees with 99% of what the First Capitol News stands for. I guess if I was getting as much revenue from the city as you are, I might think keeping Dottie happy would be a good idea, too.

I am not leading this recall, and I do not plan on doing anything more than sign the petition. I do not plan on going door to door; from what I understand there is no shortage of people willing to help. Just because I am no longer in office doesn’t mean I should not stick up for our city employees. After all, they still work for me.

As for this publication goes, it’s the worst thing that ever happened to our fine city and you are not a good person. Effective immediately, I will no longer spend my money on any business or service that advertises in your paper. They will all get a letter from me explaining why. I am encouraging my family and friends to do the same.

Since I’m pretty sure that you will only print bits and pieces of this letter, I am sending it to all the other papers.

Dan Gould

SEE EDITOR’S RESPONSE IN RAMBLING COLUMN PAGE 4

Dear First Capitol News

The jc misfits would like to thank all their supporters who helped them make their quota on the toy drive. The toys were collected so they could pass them out at the local nursing homes. If anyone would like to make any donations please send them to the house of elohim at 912 North Second Street., St. Charles, MO 63301. They would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
JimDake

Tony,

One thing is certain I can’t fight City Hall, Roy Thoele and all the rest. I am sending you a copy of a news release. This is a very sad day to me because there is a great need in the community for a food pantry. There is a class of working poor out there that need help, I was willing and was getting public donations in to keep going until this hit, and it hit me like a BRICK.
At least I can leave knowing we did the very best we could at helping everyone we could for the last 15 years!
Thank you for the past kindness you have shown to us.
Sincerely,
Mary Groeper
Founder/Director
New Hope Food Pantry

I am Mary Groeper Director and Founder of New Hope Food Pantry in St. Charles, this is my story.
Last Wednesday 1/5/05 a St. Charles building inspector inspected our pantry because the ceiling tiles were falling in on us. Rocky, the inspector told us. I am going to notify the owner they have 10 days to comply, in the mean time I am telling you I am going to condemn the building. I am giving you 10 days so I won’t put an added burden on you but you need to have your things out of here by Saturday 1/17/05.
We found a building, which is the old Hackman Lumber building, we made a deal with the owner, scheduled all the utilities to be changed, proved insurance to the owner and was ready to move when we were told by the city of St. Charles we couldn’t move into the building!
Julie Gaier from Fox 2 came out to do a story and was lied to by Bruce at planning & zoning who told her we could move our stuff into the building until the Feb meeting. That was a straight up lie because we have to have a permit from the city before we can get the keys to the building. In other words the City of St. Charles said what they had to to stop the story!!
Because we are not federally funded, state funded and you can know the city hates us, we are not funded by the United Way but have run a pantry for 15 years (celebrated our 15th yr anniversary 11/9/04) by donations from the general public.
I am ready to throw in the towel now I can’t fight City Hall. My problem is I need to get the word out that any pantry that can use food are welcome to come and get ours. I hate to see the Boy Scout food that is left and all the food that has been donated just this month go to waste. I am at my wits end and would just like to get this out there.
Thank you
Mary Groeper
www.newhopeoutreach.net

Received as a copy of an e-mail sent to Councilman Muench
Good Morning Larry,

I had to return to my house this morning because I forgot my cell phone and
much to my dismay I observed two of the big construction trucks that are
putting the overhead lines underground pulled up and parked on the new
poured brick pavement. I am not a structural engineer but I don’t think
that these SIDEWALKS were made to have this kind of load on them. Let me
know your opinion on this.

Thanks,

Barb Slattery

P.S. Tony-Maybe you would like to run down there with your camera and
document this for the City so when the pavement begins to buckle or crack in
the future you can provide them with the cause and help save the taxpayers
some money that will be needed for repair!!

Dear No Name, (who likes to write to business people regarding the First Capitol News)

You state the FCN on a weekly basis attacks individuals without justification and attempts to demean the character and destroy the reputation of anyone or business which doesn’t agree with their opinions. Where is your proof the FCN does all this? NO NAME.

If you don’t like what FCN prints send a letter to The People Speak. As long as there is no cursing in the letter FCN will print it. I can tell you some of your letters to the businesses went in the trash can.

I would like to thank the no signed name, who sent letters to the people who advertise in the FCN. In your letter you state the FCN is primarily a political newspaper. Citizens want to know what’s going on in St. Charles. The FCN prints what’s going on. You state in your letter that Tony Brockmeyer has close ties to several St. Charles City Council members. So What? Why would this upset you???

See how many ads are pulled. Thanks No Name, everyone has an opinion, but you wasted your time sending out this letter. FCN please keep doing what you are doing to keep us informed.

Everyone has the right to freedom of speech and freedom of the press in this country, no name. It seems that even though you say you don’t like the First Capitol News you sure read it.

Ray Fogg