Saturday, January 15, 2005

MY COLUMN - Mike McMurran Sports Editor

It seems that just maybe some people are reading my column. My goal, when starting this gig in November, was to increase the readership slowly but surely. If I have increased it only by two readers per week it is now up over a dozen. How do I know there are readers? Letters, comments and e-mails; some rather witty at that. Bob Barton of St. Charles City had mixed reactions to my column last week.

It seems Barton wishes to use the same ammunition to criticize Martz that I used to praise him. Barton expressed his displeasure with Martz’s play calling, in particular his refusal to run against teams “that couldn’t stop Duchesne from running up the middle,” Miami and Arizona. Barton, too, is a fan of Missouri’s favorite son, and suggested a Twain’s quote. “Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example,” might be the best of all quotes to describe Martz’s poor coaching. O.K. Bob, I made it clear when I started this column in November, as long as you identify yourself I have no problem acknowledging your thoughts and ideas. When discussing Martz’s lack of tolerance for reporters’ questions, Barton throws out more Twain: “I like criticism, but it must be my way.” Of course Barton saved his best and most obvious Twain quote for last. “If you send a damn fool to St. Louis and you don’t tell him he’s a damned fool, they’ll never find out.” He, Barton, not Twain, states we therefore have an obligation to inform Martz he is a fool, he has been found out, and now needs to get out.

In a lengthy narrative Barton goes on to inform me I “am no Bernie Miklasz.” Lighten up Bobby Boy. The idea you would mention me on the same page, let alone the same paragraph, makes my day. Ironically, I usually agree with Miklasz’s point of view, yet find his style differs from my tastes.

Did I say Barton had “mixed emotions” about my column? My bad – there seems to be nothing “mixed” about it. His final comment had to do with the “high school athlete of the week,” Lauren Thoele, and why where she enjoys eating has anything to do about sports. Fair enough. Those who follow this column on a regular basis, and as I mentioned earlier I think there are now twelve of you, know that first and foremost I am a teacher; literally and state certified. Teachers learn from other teachers; old from new and vice versa. A rookie teacher, Ryan Wallace, once showed me how to “put a student in the chair,” and how it helps build a relationship with the student. Once “in the chair,” Wallace would begin quizzing the student about their favorite eatery and what they enjoy ordering when dining at said restaurant. Strangely enough it helps build a relationship between the teacher and student, it really does. Now I know I am not a teacher in St. Charles, and the athletes I interview are not my students, but even Bobby Boy Barton must admit it is a question he has seldom, if ever seen asked in an interview. Certainly never by Miklasz. See ya next week, when hopefully there will be fourteen of you.

E-mail: mcmurran@charter.net
Phone: 314.280.9189