Saturday, January 15, 2005

FIRST CAPITOL NEWS HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETE OF THE WEEK

Josh Harrellson, Sophomore
St. Charles High School

By Mike McMurran
Sports Editor

In just his third season of playing organized basketball, St. Charles High School sophomore Josh Harrellson had a game many only dream of having. Last Friday in GAC North action Harrellson lead the Pirates to a 52-39 victory at Zumwalt North. Harrellson’s numbers were nothing less than dominating: 26 points, 11 rebounds and an amazing 8 blocked shots. Asked what attributed to such a game, the 6’ 6” forward responded, “My teammates were working their butts off to get me the ball. They did all the real work, all I did was finish.”

Unlike all previous FCN H.S. Athletes of the Week, Harrellson clearly remembers when he first started playing basketball – just two short years ago. “I never touched a basketball until I was in the eighth grade. I started playing at The Boys and Girls Club of St. Charles.” Last season Harrellson spent the season learning the ropes on the freshman squad. Now he is playing with kids two and three years older than himself.

Josh lives in beautiful St. Charles City with his parents Doug and Carol Harrellson, his sister Ashley who is a senior at St. Charles, and his younger brother Matt who attends Hardin Middle School.

“Playing for Coach (Gary) Wacker can be tough, but the rewards make it worth it,” said Harrellson. “I know deep in my heart if he did not make me do the things I do in practice I never would have had a game like I did against North. All that yelling and running paid off.” Wacker offers, “You gotta remember, Josh is just a 15 year old kid, and with any 15 year old kid there are going to be inconsistencies. Some games he is next to unstoppable; some games he can look almost lost. He needs to work on his consistency.”

Josh’s favorite teacher is his strength-training instructor, Coach Owens. His favorite subject is math. Unbeknownst to Josh, he gave his math teacher the ultimate compliment: “Until I had Mrs. Freeman I never understood, and always hated math. She explains algebra in a way that I can understand it. I really think I have learned more math from her than all my other teachers added together.”

The word Josh most often uttered during this interview was teammates. “My teammates got me the ball…my teammates did all the work…my teammates help me out on the court.” Those “teammates” are seniors Mark Budde, Brad Bichel and Joe Bekebrede. “Without them guys I don’t score. Heck, without them guys I don’t even think I would be playing.” Harrellson sheepishly states.

Next to basketball, eating might be Josh’s favorite past time. Given the opportunity to go to any restaurant he hesitates not to say Lee’s Family Buffet in Bridgeton. With equal hesitation he knows precisely what he would fill his plate with, “crawdads and salmon.” With his 6’ 6” build there is no doubt he would have to make more than one trip to the buffet to satisfy his appetite.

To nominate an athlete contact Mike McMurran at mcmurran@charter.net or 314.280.9189