Saturday, February 09, 2008

THE PEOPLE SPEAK - Letters To The Editor

To the Editor,

In a letter to a local newspaper, Stephanie Bollinger complained that the criticism of her father, St. Charles school board president Dennis Hahn, was insulting.
 
She called her father “a true public servant.” Many, many people wish that were true. You can’t be considered a “public servant” if you close popular neighborhood schools and lie about the reasons.
 
Using the district’s own information, it’s crystal clear that financial difficulties are not, and never were, the true reason for closing Benton and Blackhurst schools.  Plus, busing students is costing them more and more money – as predicted. Likewise, judging by figures on the state’s website, neither was low enrollment the true reason for closing these particular schools. What, then, was the board’s motivation? Why won’t it listen to the public?
 
Private interests would like to have our public school buildings. Parochial school officials are being wooed with visions of tuition vouchers.
 
Please consider and draw your own conclusions:
 
Most, perhaps all, school board members and St. Charles school foundation members (past and present) have strong ties to either Lindenwood, local parochial schools or their churches, or both. In other words, there are conflicts of interest.
 
All the schools chosen as candidates for closing are near Lindenwood, a privately owned university. The only schools that had low enrollment were on the western side of the district, but they were not candidates for closing.
 
Some of Lindenwood’s “campuses” at other sites (seen on their cable access, Channel 26) are older school buildings. Homeowners near St. Charles High School have already been approached about selling their homes to Lindenwood, which is as much in the real estate business as in the business of education.
 
School board president Dennis Hahn is a member of Veterans for Bush.  Not a single Republican official stood up for keeping Benton open. They can’t –it’s against current Republican Party policy.
 
How so? I believe the Bush administration’s policy is to replace public schools with charter or private schools. That’s the true agenda of the No Child Left Behind Act, which puts every public school on instant probation. Forever.
 
Private and parochial schools and home-schoolers are not bound by No Child Left Behind test requirements. (Not yet, anyway.)
 
But for public schools to get federal funds, students must pass more and more difficult tests each year.
 
Finally -- and this is going on in St. Louis -- schools are closed, teachers fired, and students get vouchers (paid by taxes) to attend elsewhere. Anywhere that will take them, that is.
 
That’s a pretty odd “repair,” isn’t it?
 
Has anyone asked private school parents if they want their children to attend school with kids whose beliefs and backgrounds they don’t share?
 
The St. Charles school board and district administrators are working against their own students by:
 
Closing schools. It can take months to a year to acclimate to a new school; meanwhile, students’
grades suffer.
 
Busing certain children clear across town. Kids lose sleep having to get up much earlier and
grades suffer. Kids wait for buses at 6:30 a.m.! Also, buses are prime sites for bullying, which
makes the ride scary for many kids. More stress! And diesel fumes are unhealthy; other districts
have converted their buses, but not St. Charles.
 
Sending kids to overcrowded classrooms. Grades surely suffer. (Officials said, “Oops, we
miscalculated!” But parents didn’t – they warned officials.)
 
Getting rid of 18 - 22 (I’ve heard different numbers) experienced high school teachers, including
many of the best and brightest.
 
Hiring principals who’ve developed reputations for not being able to handle unruly kids, so there’s
chaos in the classroom and police using tasers at school. 
 
Beginning the St. Charles High School day earlier and ending it later, and requiring teachers to
crack down on tardiness. Sleepy teens have a harder time in school.
 
Changing or cutting gifted programs so gifted kids lose out. (In “The Genius Problem,” Time
magazine Aug. 2007, John Cloud blames the No Child Left Behind Act.)
 
Cutting a popular high school program, Seminar, which helped kids study and get help from
teachers; now teachers are not as available as before. 
 
Threatening, intimidating, and failing to support teachers; it’s hard to give 100% at work if there’s
a hostile environment.
 
Last spring and summer, others and I circulated petitions to keep Benton open. It was fun because people from all walks of life and political persuasions were happy to sign, including those with kids and grandkids in private schools. It was surely the most popular petition ever to hit the streets of St. Charles. When a school foundation member doubted that claim, I invited him to come with me and see for himself. He declined.
 
Let’s come full circle to fathers. One of the most touching comments I heard came from a dad addressing the St. Charles school superintendent during the January meeting at Benton.
 
“I moved here so I could walk to worship, and walk my children to school,” he said. He spoke for many in the room.
 
It’s possible that the board members of the school district, parochial schools, city officials and Lindenwood’s board members and overseers sincerely do believe they are doing the right thing in dismantling the school district. But by keeping their agenda secret from the public and even from people in their own institutions, they’ve shown that they are not public servants or public-minded. The evidence points to conflicts of interest.
 
The wisest recourse for the various boards is to allow Benton and Blackhurst to re-open.
 
They need to do right by local children, their families and our historic neighborhoods.
 
Otherwise, every one of them should step down.
 
Their “free” service is costing us dearly.
 
  
Peggy Whetzel


To The Editor,

You did a great job of bidding farewell to Mr. Dengler and Mr. Scott, the photo cover of Mr. Dengler was a nice touch.

I would like to respond to Mr. Dakes letter by saying that his allegations regarding our meeting are absolutely false. He neglected to mention that while he was picketing, which is his right, he was honking a hand held horn directly under my residence. At the time two of my front windows were open and I was watching a football game on television and the noise from his horn honking was interfering with my enjoyment of the game. All I said to him was
, “Hey, Please knock off the horn honking I’m trying to watch a game!”. I was looking out my front window at Mr. Dake and a young lady that he was holding hands with at the time and she screamed that I should go and smoke some more drugs. “What?” I said.
Mr. Dake yelled up at me that I should “shut up and go put on some donkey ears!”
“Just stop with the horn and move along!” I said.
“You move along!” Mr. Dake said.
I returned to my recliner to finish watching the game. Just as I sat down Mr. Dake bellowed 
“See,” Mr. Dake said, obviously trying to impress the girl he was holding hands with,”A real man would come down here and say that to my face!”
I went down to the street and said, “Well, I’m going to ask you again please stop with horn! What’s with that girl yelling about drugs and what not?” I said.
“Don’t worry about her she’s with me!’ Drake said.
While I was talking with him I asked him what’s his problem Councilman Veit? He said that he was upset with the City because sidewalks in his neighborhood were not accessible for people with disabilities and this was wrong and needed to be addressed. I agreed, I also appologized for yelling at him to knock off the horn blowing. We shook hands and I bid him good day. He asked for a score of the game and I told him. 
That is what happened.

I have eaten at The Vine several times and it was really good. I must say that they have the only decent cheese plate in town. Thank You for taking the time to read this.

Bryan Audrey

Editor First Capitol News
Sherborn Lane was closed at the end of Hanover subdivision by John Gieseke (former Councilman).  The developers promised the homebuyers that the street would be closed to thru traffic. 
Immediately after being elected Mike Klinghammer reopened the street. He must have had a political debt to pay. He also got the dept of public works to waste taxpayer’s money by painting white stripes on the sides of the street, installing street narrowing signs and reflectors on the street.  This was supposed to calm traffic, a complete foolish and ineffective idea.

I emailed Mike Klinghammer, the Mayor and the dept of public works director on Jan 3 and asked how much all that work cost the taxpayers.  No one answered.  Evidently the mayor or her supporters don’t like to be asked about how much things cost the taxpayers.  The markings on the street are a total waste.  The mail carriers the UPS delivery men and and others ask what they are all about.   Also I have had a police car parked in front of my house since last Friday.  This is also an ineffective means of controlling speeders.  There is very little traffic on the street and the police car could be more effectively used in patrolling high crime or high-speed areas.   Do we have an oversupply of police cars that we can let one set vacant on a street for over six days and who knows how much longer.
I think you should investigate this situation and publish it in your paper.  It is the only way citizen of St Charles will know how foolish our councilman and the administration are.

 Thank you
Richard Perry

EDITOR’S NOTE

THE PHOTOS ON THIS PAGE SHOW THE TRAFFIC CALMING MR. PERRY WRITES ABOUT ALONG WITH THE POLICE CAR PARKED IN FRONT OF HIS HOME.

Dear Editor,

Recently at a celebration on the birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr, Mayor York was allowed to read excerpts from Dr. King’s speech delivered in Selma. Having her read his words is with out doubt a travesty to not just the memory of Dr. King but to all those who died during the confrontations that occurred in Alabama. It is a travesty to all who really understand what the celebration of Dr. King’s life is by proclaiming a national holiday in his honor.

York hasn’t the conscious or moral capacity to comprehend the meaning of the words she read. King’s words moved a nation to understand that we are all created equal and all are God’s children. Those who organized the celebration should have done some simple homework.

York is part of an establishment that hasn’t fully grasped the idea of equal rights for all. Look at her administration’s department heads, it reminds you of one from the south in the 60’s. Her support of the purchase of housing stock in Powell Terrace by Lindenwood took needed housing away from those whose only crime was to be poor. Can York read the lines and words, yes, can she fully comprehend the meaning, not a chance.
 
The topper of all this is the fact that York doesn’t fully recognize the holiday of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. York closed City Hall but the city employees all have to work. Those who participated in the celebration most likely didn’t realize the hypocrisy of their civic leader. The facts are simple and true; York hasn’t the needed intellect to fully grasp the idea of one nation. Her only dream was one of self-promotion by excepting to speak during the ceremony. In the future if we are really looking to keep King’s dream alive wouldn’t it be appropriate to have leaders who understand what the dream is, and have the humility to understand their roll.

P Johnson


To The Editor,

You did a great job of bidding farewell to Mr. Dengler and Mr. Scott, the photo cover of Mr. Dengler was a nice touch.

I would like to respond to Mr. Dakes letter by saying that his allegations regarding our meeting are absolutely false. He neglected to mention that while he was picketing, which is his right, he was honking a hand held horn directly under my residence. At the time two of my front windows were open and I was watching a football game on television and the noise from his horn honking was interfering with my enjoyment of the game. All I said to him was
, “Hey, Please knock off the horn honking I’m trying to watch a game!”. I was looking out my front window at Mr. Dake and a young lady that he was holding hands with at the time and she screamed that I should go and smoke some more drugs. “What?” I said.
Mr. Dake yelled up at me that I should “shut up and go put on some donkey ears!”
“Just stop with the horn and move along!” I said.
“You move along!” Mr. Dake said.
I returned to my recliner to finish watching the game. Just as I sat down Mr. Dake bellowed 
“See,” Mr. Dake said, obviously trying to impress the girl he was holding hands with,”A real man would come down here and say that to my face!”
I went down to the street and said, “Well, I’m going to ask you again please stop with horn! What’s with that girl yelling about drugs and what not?” I said.
“Don’t worry about her she’s with me!’ Drake said.
While I was talking with him I asked him what’s his problem Councilman Veit? He said that he was upset with the City because sidewalks in his neighborhood were not accessible for people with disabilities and this was wrong and needed to be addressed. I agreed, I also apologized for yelling at him to knock off the horn blowing. We shook hands and I bid him good day. He asked for a score of the game and I told him. 
That is what happened.

I have eaten at The Vine several times and it was really good. I must say that they have the only decent cheese plate in town. Thank You for taking the time to read this.

Bryan Audrey