Saturday, June 03, 2006

First Capitol Counseling Connection - Dr Howard Rosenthal

Seven Habits of highly successful dog owners!
I have received a number of questions about handling inappropriate dog behavior. I must admit that am totally unqualified to answer such questions especially in light of the fact that my family’s newly acquired puppy, Katie, was the most ill behaved dog during her initial puppy training class!

Thus, in an attempt to rectify my own difficulties and meet my readers’ needs I have decided to interview Kara Sinclair, a St. Charles resident and dog behavior enthusiast at Kersting Bird Medicine and Surgery in Chesterfield.

HR: Maybe the term dog town should be applied to St. Charles. When I attend my son’s baseball games I see more dogs on leashes than I do kids on the field.
K: I think it’s great! Dogs need to be a part of everyday activities. Even if it’s just sitting at a child’s sporting event. Who wouldn’t want a little fresh air?

HR: When and how did you personally become interested in dogs?
K: I’m sure if you asked my parents they would say as soon as I could speak! Our household didn’t include any dogs as I was growing up. My sister and I felt lucky enough to have goldfish and hermit crabs as pets. Reading books on dog breeds and training made me want a dog even more. When I finally got a place of my own I was excited to add “Sprinkles” my Dalmatian to my life.

HR: Okay, first things first. Let’s say a family decides to add a dog to the household. What factors should be considered in terms of the dog’s age and breed?
K: My biggest pet peeve is when parents let their children pick out the dog or puppy for the family. The children should have a say but parents need to do their homework. As far as age is concerned puppies are a lot of work! They are little bundles of excitement and everything they encounter is a learning experience. Older dogs can without a doubt be a great addition to a family, especially if you have a little background information. Obedience classes are a must in my opinion. The bottom-line is that there are there are advantages and disadvantages with all breeds.

HR: I know you work with Dr. David Kersting, one of the leading bird vets. Do a lot of dog owners also have birds as pets? I’m not saying my family is typical, but we have five fine feathered friends in my home . . . or maybe we should be calling it the Rosenthal Aviary.
K: At the clinic we actually do have numerous families with a mix of pets in their homes. As long as people use common sense and supervise their animals, it can work.

HR: What’s the absolute dumbest thing that owners do in terms of trying to control their dog’s out of control behavior?
K: That would have to be ignoring bad behavior or making excuses for bad behavior. I can’t stand it when I hear, “I crate my dog when I have company because he jumps on people.” What’s that about? How will he ever learn acceptable behavior? Talk to an experienced trainer or at the least get a book on dog training.

HR: What are your suggestions for housebreaking a dog? My dog is about 11 weeks old. I take her outside and then the second I get in the house she decides to do her business. Outside of buying stock in a publicly traded carpet cleaning company do you have any suggestions?
K: I am a firm believer in crate training. All puppies need time to play and explore. But when play time is over the puppy should be crated when not supervised. To this day I still see my dog napping in her crate. As for your problem with Miss Katie, I would take small yummy treats outside with you .When she potties, she gets one. Remember this is not play time. Pick up toys in the yard so she won’t be tempted. Pick a word for her potty breaks and stick to it. If she doesn’t do her business, she goes back in the crate. Try again ten minutes later.

HR: Can you give our readers six or seven things that dog owners can do to help their animals behave in a more appropriate manner?
K: 1.Every breed has known quirks. If you are prepared and know how to address them, you’ll be on the right track. 2. Exercise is at the top of my list. A tired dog is a good dog. 3. Make dogs a part of your family! They are pack animals. 4. At times I may be guilty of this, but don’t treat your dog like a child. Dogs are dogs. 5. Make sure your dog is healthy. Yearly visits to the vet are an absolute must. 6. Love and appreciate your dog. 7. Keep learning about dogs. The more you learn, the better your relationship will be with your pets.

HR: At last, no more dog day afternoons. Are there any final gems of wisdom you’d like to impart to our fellow pet owners?
K: A trained, well-behaved dog is welcome anywhere. Just ask my dog “Sprinkles.”

HR: Thanks!

Dr. Howard Rosenthal is professor and program coordinator of Human Services at St. Louis Community College at Florissant Valley and a multi-book author. His titles include the Encyclopedia of Counseling and the Human Services Dictionary. His book Therapy’s Best: Practical Advice and Gems of Wisdom From Twenty Accomplished Counselors and Therapists will be released this summer. Dr. Rosenthal’s: website is www.howardrosenthal.com