Saturday, August 20, 2005

THE PEOPLE SPEAK - Letters To The Editor

Dear Editor:

My, My, My – What an interesting council meeting last Tuesday evening. I watched and listened, as citizens were ready to give our City back to the Mayor with no accountability for anything she does. As I heard a taxpayer say “Let the mayor do her job, and let the administrator do his job, and let the council do what they were elected to do – be the representatives of the people who elected them.” I had to wonder – DUH – We wouldn’t have the problems we have in our city if the Mayor would do her job, the administrator do his job and the whole council do their job. My opinion is we only have a few who are doing their job – the council members who are asking questions and making those in appointed and elected offices stand accountable for their wasteful spending of our tax dollars.

I’m not in favor of discord and the petty battling that goes on at City Hall, but I do believe the blame starts at the top! There are many taxpayers who are fed up with the waste of our tax dollars. It is so easy to spend someone else’s money. Our city should be run like a business, not a Hollywood movie – set with all the props positioned to suit the Mayor.

It only takes a few good men and a few good women to stand up for Truth and Honesty – “the total absence of any intent to deceive.” This is a very good time to commend Dottie Greer, Mark Brown, Joe Koester, John Gieseke, Rory Riddler and Larry Muench for their courage and independent voice for the people. These good council members march to the beat of their own drum, they don’t have to read the script to perform their duties.

We as taxpayers know the Mayor has her own cast of about 75 who do all her casting work for her. The run of Hollywood stardom is short lived and that’s when the oldies move on. The rubber stamp on the video must always be “Ego of the Queen.”

All taxpayers realize the day will come when we have had enough of the wasteful spending of money – CUT – this movie will not cost us one more dollar.

This is a piece of advise for the Mayor and her cast, a body guard isn’t needed if you surround yourself with really true friends. Maybe Tommy Mayer would be someone the Mayor could hire – oops! That can’t happen, she’s trying to distant herself from him. So sorry Tommy, you are not in her script anymore. A word for Mayor, as President Truman said, “If you can’t take the heat – get out of the kitchen.”

The bring it on taxpayer with courage,
Joyce Bredensteiner

Dear Editor:

Before the First Capitol News started more than four years ago I was an avid reader of he County Post. When the First Capitol News came along I discovered how much information could be gleaned from your pages. You would have more information in one issue of your paper than the daily had given us in a month.

Needless to say the First Capitol News became my paper of choice. I did occasionally read the daily when I found it at the barbershop.

I told all my friends that if you wanted to know what was happening in St. Charles you needed to read your paper. They also became avid readers. On those occasions when I did read the daily it seemed that they always reported the stories after you had already printed them.

I also noticed that the columnist in that paper seemed to hate you or the First Capitol News. Or maybe both. I am curious as to what brought about this hate. Could you tell me?

Joe Friend

Editor’s response,

No I cannot. I wish I could. We have been told that when we started the First Capitol News the columnist you mentioned was the editor of the daily paper. When stories began breaking in the First Capitol News, before the daily paper had the information, the higher up at his publication became enraged. Suddenly he was no long the editor but was now a columnist and a new editor was brought in to run the paper. Was this the reason? Your guess is as good as ours.