Saturday, August 20, 2005

MY COLUMN - Mike McMurran Sports Editor

Very rough week in the old McMurran household; one of those weeks where, as parents, Lynn and I are not sure if we did the right thing. Only time will tell. Incidentally, I suspect I am violating a rule or two of journalism as I write this. Presently, emotionally, I am at a pretty high level.

The reason is two fold, little does it have to do with sports – such will come later. As I write this my son is in the emergency room of the hospital with a dog bite – a bite from our family dog, Buddy. Buddy has been in our family now for 14 months and is considered a member of our family. I am not certain how much longer that will remain.

As I mentioned, my anger and emotions are two-fold. If I were to reference Wednesday’s Post Dispatch, and the column written by the former sports writer, who by the way has forgotten more about journalism than I might ever know, suggest that I am one who doesn’t think highly of family values. According to August 17th article, Republicans “believe in family values, oppose abortion, go to church…” which suggests, somewhat strongly I might interject, as a Democrat, I have no family values, support abortion, and do not attend church. Wrong on two out of three!

Lately, it seems to me, the very columnist of whom I speak might have just lost touch with reality. Certainly his reality is not the same as mine. Let’s address the topic of family values. This weekly has a deadline for submitting articles; a deadline I have already missed. Both Tony Brockmeyer and Phylllis Schaltenbrand have told me to attend my son – remember the dog bite, and worry not bout the deadline. Thank you to the two of them. Maybe they too have some “family values.”
What about “going to church?” Family McMurran attends St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Catholic Church every Sunday – or Saturday evening. Check the records! My daughter Maggie has made her first communion, and her brother Joe will do the same this coming May. As I have mentioned here on a number of occasions, all three attend Academy of the Sacred Heart, a Catholic school.

Here’s the point that bothered me the most: “…I wouldn’t mind it if all of the bridges were imploded between St. Charles County and St. Louis County.” If there is a typical Republican, conservative philosophy, that very sentence sums it all up! Those bridges Mr. Family Values would implode are the same bridges he used to move here! He raised his family in Ferguson – and God forbid, they attended public schools! Those bridges need to remain exactly where they are, so that others might be afforded the same opportunity to improve the quality of their life. To many times conservatives forget what got them where they are. They concern themselves with what only benefits them. Our boy governor, who opposes abortion, but also opposes providing any medical care for those too down on their luck to afford it, not only received a free college education, the government paid him to attend classes. No sir Mr. Columnist, you are way wrong with this one.

You, and I are transplants from North St. Louis County – and you and I moved here to improve the quality of life for our families and ourselves. Applying your version of choplogic, I belong here more than you. At least two of my three children were born in St. Charles.

Lastly he commented on “goofy liberal Democrats who are obsessed with doing anything and everything to take religion out of American life.” Not so much life sir, but certainly schools. What if, when your son was a student there, McCluer High School made their students say a daily prayer to Allah? Would that not offend your Christian son? Of course it would. The majority of this nation might be Christian, that does not make us a Christian nation. By the way, until recently I have never seen such strange bedfellows as fundamental Christians and Catholics. In my discussions with a number of fundamental Christians, they don’t really perceive Catholics to be Christian.

No, live and let live; unless of course a life-style invades one’s personal space. Trying to make everyone conform to your way of thinking would make us the same mind set of those whom we are presently engaged in military war.

Back to the dog situation if I may. Daniel is now home and required a single stitch to close his wound. He is fine. Maggie on the other hand knows Buddy’s days living in our household are limited – and is a nervous wreck over it. Joe, ever the wise one of the family (probably because he is a native St. Charles son) suggested we find a farm for Buddy – so that is what I am doing. If anyone knows of someone, Democrat or Republican, who has a large piece of property, where a dog can run, and run and run, please let me know. Buddy is half Australian Shepard and half Beagle, house broken – and usually great with kids. They just can’t go nose to nose with the dog. If you wish to rid your property of rabbits and/or birds, he is the dog you need. He, like I, am neutered and housebroken. The vet told me Buddy takes much better to males versus females – which means he pretty much is my dog. That probably explains why he is always in some sort of trouble.

ttt