Saturday, June 04, 2005

STRAIGHT TALK - Bob Hoepfner Councilman Ward 10

Hello again out there folks. It has been a couple of weeks but we are back on track again . I get hundreds of calls a month, from people asking for help, asking me to stand up for them. I always try to respond in a positive way because I am here for the resident taxpayer, the senior citizen.

You know it is easy to be with the wine and cheese set because they have the power and they have the money. I guess instead of writing about the challenges of the city and challenges to our citizens, it is easier to write about old junk car or your house pet. Most of us really care and stand up for folks. I have been doing this for over 30 years. I don't write gossip. I write about the true struggles and sometimes the successes of our resident taxpayers.

Take for example, we all voted to join the Metropolitan Park System. Where we tax ourselves, build up the funds for a Metropolitan park system. It consists of the three counties in Missouri and four counties in Illinois. The Metropolitan Park Commission does major development throughout these counties connecting the hiking and biking trails. Some of the money paid in is returned to the participating counties and pieced out to the municipalities. Our piece of the pie this year is $200,000 for the City of St. Charles. I have learned that the Mayor and our Economic Development believe that they can use that money to help bring a large company into St. Charles.the Mayor and our Economic Development Department believe they can do whatever they want with that money. When I voted for the Metropolitan Park System it was my understanding that our extra money would go to our city parks. What was your understanding my friends? I believe they are going to make an attempt to take this $200,000 away from the park system and use it to build a parking lot for this company. What would we do with the parking lot if this company falls apart. They are also considering putting a road through the soccer complex for this company.

You all remember Proposition P. Proposition P says parks money is parks money and the city leaders cannot use that park tax for anything other than parks. It is my understanding they were also talking about doing a bond issue and were planning on using the park tax money as collateral for the bonds. This is not right and I am completely against it.

I want our park tax dollars to go for our city parks only. Just like we said in Proposition P. Evidently these people still feel that they can do anything they want in our park system and you and I have to put a stop to this.

We have made some changes at City Hall and there are going to be more. Right now some of the staff think that they run the City irregardless of what the residents and/or the council want. But you know the outcome of that one don’t you folks.We will, I promise you we will get back to the needs and concerns of the resident taxpayers. Stay tuned and stay in touch. God love you one and all. Warts and all. 949-0956.