Saturday, June 04, 2005

Ghost Voters?

Lynndi Lockenour

In April the City made an attempt TO annex 12 parcels of property, which were thought to be vacant, into the city limits. This would mean those properties would then fall under city guidelines.

However, when it came time for a vote, six people voted no, saying they were residents of those properties. First Capitol News suspects that not all six of these residents actually live on the property and may have been encouraged by someone to reside there briefly to enable them to be eligible to vote no on the matter.

Reginald and Betty Payne live on Area 3, located at 3733 Huster Road. Reginald claims he bought the land in 1956 and has lived there every since. “I consider my land a farm,” he said, ‘and I want to keep it that way.”

Reginald was hesitant to speak with me and after only a few questions; he retreated inside his house and locked the door. It is interesting to note that both Reginald and Betty voted “no” in April to the annexation. However, in my brief conversation with Reginald he said he was the only one residing in the home. “I live here alone, so I don’t see why they can’t leave me alone,” he said.

Lawrence Pun owns Area 8, located at 3545 North Highway 94, which currently houses a bar and grill restaurant. When I asked to speak with Lawrence, he declined and sent a bartender out to tell me he had “no comment” on my story. She then asked me to leave the property.

Samantha Erhardt supposedly is a resident of Area 7, located at 2001 South River Road, but the residence appeared vacant. The trailer was empty, except for a few boxes, and the grass was waist high.

It is also interesting to note that Erhardt didn’t register to vote in St. Charles County until February of this year. The City sent notices to the owners of the properties in January informing them of the annexation election.

Dennis Bernat is a supposed resident of Area 1, located at 3732 West Clay Street, next to a used car lot. The residence appeared vacant with old rusted cars cluttering the back yard and several broken windows. The man who owns the used car lot assured me that Dennis does in fact live there. However, in the four trips made to the house, First Capitol News never saw Dennis or any sign that someone was living in the house.