Saturday, May 21, 2005

STRAIGHT TALK - Bob Hoepfner Councilman Ward 10

To The Editor
St. Charles County Post Dispatch
Fred Erlich

On Monday, May 16, 2005 the St. Charles County Post printed a column written by John Sonderegger and titled, Charleytown. In that column there were statements and quotes attributed to me that were not made by me.

As an example, the column quoted me as saying The First Capitol News censored my weekly columns. I categorically deny that I said that. The First Capitol News has limits, as does the Post, on what can be said. I believe we like to call that responsible journalism.

Another example is quotes regarding Councilman John Gieseke. While I may have disagreement with Mr. Gieseke on certain issues that verbiage used in the column belongs totally to Mr. Charleytown.

After the column was published, I called Sonderegger and took exception to the quotes and statements attributed to me and he admitted that I never said them. I am bringing this to your attention and the public's’ attention so that you can take the proper action to see that this matter is corrected. I would appreciate it if you would have a correction published. Things like this, misquotes, mistatements of fact is what causes the public to be skeptical of what they read in your publication.

Bob Hoepfner
Councilman Ward 10