Saturday, May 21, 2005

MY COLUMN - Mike McMurran Sports Editor

First a little house cleaning. St. Aloysius Catholic Church in Spanish Lake is not yet closed. The final Mass will be said on Saturday, June 25th. I am not yet certain what time the Mass is scheduled to begin, but I do know the old school and Parish Hall will be open to visit for one final time.

Secondly, to those of who you pointed out that the past three “Athletes of the Week” were all baseball players – I have a question: Have any of you nominated someone for the award? I happen to know the answer is “no.” Feel free to nominate someone; time is running out as most high school spring district competition is over, meaning the State Championships are right around the corner. On a related note, upon the conclusion of the spring season we will be recognizing a “Team of the Week.” It could be anything from a first grade baseball team to an amateur slow pitch softball team.

Special thanks to Amy Higgins for pointing out to Paul Higgins that the tie in to last week’s column and sports was the fact the incident took place at a softball game. The Family Higgins teamed up with the McMurran Family this past Saturday at the Moose Lodge’s trivia night. After nine rounds we were tied for second place, due largely to our perfect score, the only one of the evening mind you, in round #9; of course the category was sports. In round ten we fell apart and finished in 5th place. A special thank you to all who chimed in and sang Happy Birthday to Paul, who was celebrating his 41st that evening.

One would think that a graduate of the University of Missouri at Rolla would know the difference between a “left” thinking and “right” thinking newspaper. Such is not the case. It seems Randy Hunt, a graduate of UMR, wanted to know exactly how I came associated with such a radical “right wing paper.” After a brief lesson in Civics, Randy understood that if anything, the FCN leaned to the left. He wanted to know why some of the stories he saw in this fine weekly never appeared in other St. Charles publications. That was question I could not answer for him.

“Left, Right,” its all relative. To most of my friends I am considered too far left. To most of my colleagues in the Jennings School District I am considered too far right. While we are on the subject, my wife considers me a necessary evil, and my children consider me “the world’s greatest dad.” The only one that matters to me is the last.

Very quickly, I wish to comment on a certain web site that claims to look out for St. Charles. It seems that some old newspaper press clippings about me have been discussed and tossed about. Fine, they didn’t concern me ten years ago and they surely do not concern me now. Politics can be, and usually are dirty. The smaller the community the worse it seems to be. Back to the web site. I used to read the comment posted, and sometimes even posted my own comments. Once, whomever runs the site, changed everything I said and completely turned around my argument. Talk about censorship – no, censorship is not a strong enough word. How about blatant lies!

Remember, start thinking now about which teams you wish to nominate for “Team of the Week.” If you do not contact me, don’t complain.

Any way, I wonder how Amy will explain to Paul how this one merits being in the Sports Section.