Sunday, February 13, 2005

THE PEOPLE SPEAK Letters to the Editor

Dear Editor:

I have been out of town for a few weeks and was reading back issues of your paper. I noticed Dan Gould’s notice to boycott all of your advertisers. Since I haven’t noticed any brewers, beer distributors or bail bondsmen advertising in the FCN, I don’t think you have anything to worry about.

Name withheld by request

To The Conservative Factor

Well you and your party did it, you have elected a pro-life candidate and conservative to the State’s highest office you should feel proud and yell loud. His first weeks have been that of person who believes in cut, cut, cut but don’t hurt those who can give, give, give to further the right political agenda.

This week we have found out that if your child is not a perfect child, the child is not deserving of special education from the state. In the early years of this great country when a less than perfect child was born they were institutionalized. Not in Missouri, Blunt cut the funding of institutions too. The term right to life has to mean more than just protecting the unborn. Jesus Christ would not turn his backs on those in need, the less fortunate, the little children who have been born out of love thinking our society who claim this moral high ground will somehow help insure life is not the only inalienable right within reach. Blunt and the party faithful have said they are right to life but what about liberty and the pursuit of happiness? If the party and those right to lifers who parade around town with their little bumper stickers think that will get them points with the big guy I have news, he will judge the totality of your existence. To say that those born with special needs are not worthy of all of our help to pursue a normal life will not bode well with the man upstairs. Blunt has proven the true meaning or should I say meanness of the Republican Party. The party leadership has forsaken their compassionate conservatism, to keep those who line the pockets of their campaign coffers happy.

Blunt is a poor excuse of someone who believes in the right to life. This, the richest country in the world has the means to take care and invest not just in making sure a fertilized egg emerges from the womb, we have a responsibility to make sure that little person has every chance to make this world a better place. I am proud to say I am not pro choice or pro life, I am pro kids. It is not enough to say stop abortion without showing the opportunities that the child can have if he gets to take his first breath. Of course we now know that if the first breath is that of a downs baby our governor believes that the baby is worthless. If it is a deaf child our governor believes hear not, have not. If it is a child that is learning impaired our governor must have checked to see they don’t vote or send money so they don’t matter. Good job right to lifers, let’s have all the babies we can and have them suffer at the hands of an angel of light, Governor Matt Blunt.

Watching Spector

Tony

Maybe you could put some of the new driving laws in your paper. ex. driving with your lights on when it is raining/foggy. Moving over a lane when there is a police car/emergency vehicle on the shoulder,driving in the left lane only to pass not to drive in etc.
This might be a help for the readers.

Received by e-mail
AJLAFFLEUR

To The Editor:

At the last City Council meeting when the Council went into a closed door session for about two hours, when the Mayor returned to the Council Chambers and before the TC cameras were turned on, she turned to the citizens in the audience and said very sarcastically, “Don’t you people trust me?” My wife almost instantly responded, “No we don’t.”

Makes me wonder how other people might answer Mayor York’s question if asked of them - like Dr. Hank, Henry, and Mel who were very instrumental in getting her re-elected and how they might answer her after 22 months into her second term. I just wonder what their answer might be? Well, do you or don’t you? (Trust her).

Before I could respond and not without interrupting the re-start of the meeting I kept quiet. So now I would “ditto” my wife’s remark and say, “No we don’t trust you Mayor York.”
Respectfully
Bob Bredenstiner

To The Editor:

It had to happen. After months of people who know me stopping to thank me on the articles I write for the Put St. Charles First group, I received my first negative e-mail on the column. The e-mail came to me from “unknownsender111@charter.net” It was sent at 4:08 on Sunday morning. The entire e-mail was: “Your articles in the First Capitol News make you sound like an idiot and your photo makes you look like an idiot.” (as with most of the posters on the stchuckwatch computer hate site and senders of letters to FCN advertisers, they haven’t the guts to sign their names}

This well thought out comment on the issues that I bring forth was obviously from an individual with great insight on issues of importance to St. Charles residents. His intense reasoning has a flaw though. Although my columns make me sound like an idiot, my picture doesn’t make me look like an idiot. Making me look like an idiot was purely the doings of my parents. (Somehow my siblings avoided the “idiot” gene) I couldn’t help that. I’ve looked like an idiot all my life. I still wonder why that good-looking young lady married me. Of course, she still calls me an idiot on occasion.
Jerry Haferkamp

Editor’s note (Mr. Haferkamp’s photo has never appeared with his column)

Dear Editor

Words fail me (almost). If Mayor York’s violation of a City ordinance in
signing a contract with Express Scripts without first submitting it to
the city council for their approval could result in her prosecution does
anyone think she is worried? If this were to occur her legal defense
probably would be at city expense which is no small consideration.

It would seem Express Scripts does not have an enforceable contract with the required signatures missing. Why would the city need to be released from a contract that is not fully executed. Surely our staff of lawyers could work this out without “incurring cost upwards of $200,000”.
Carol Diller

Thank You:

We enjoy the First Capitol News a great deal and look forward to the next issue. Thank you and keep up the GREAT work.

We have a question, last summer there was talk about the City of St. Charles being audited. Can you tell us, did they ever do the audit and if they did what was the outcome? Thanks again.

Sincerely,
Mary Lou & Wally Watson

Editor’s Note.. The report is expected wihtin the next 60 says.