Friday, January 07, 2005

THE PEOPLE SPEAK - Letters to the Editor

Dear Editor

Dan Gould is recalling someone. That is a joke! This is the same guy who was arrested for a DWI. While in police custody he tried to bribe police officers with cars and other offers. Two of the others on the recall committee are married to police officers. This is what happens when there is no Chief. I hope DWI Dan and the rest of the bunch have fun going door to door, I know one thing, when they come to my door they will get an ear full.

D. Thomas

Dear Anonymous St. Charles Citizens and Consumer Boycotting First Capitol News Advertisers:

I am in receipt of your letter you sent to my business as well as others located in the Beautiful Historic District of St. Charles. I relate to your frustrations and freedoms as a consumer. I too, shop with my pocketbook! I respect your opinions as a consumer.

I do have a few thoughts for you to consider. I am a business owner who spends thousands of dollars in advertising in the Greater St. Louis and St. Charles area. I must say that the FCN targets St. Charles Residents better than any other venue I have tried. These wonderful St. Charles residents help keep me in business and I am very grateful. I also am proud to return money to St. Charles Businesses, as there are many fine establishments and a great way to ensure much needed revenue for the citizens in St. Charles

I also have chosen not to advertise in certain papers because of my unhappiness of their content. I can tell you though that I have personally let them know and not by an anonymous letter. I am happy to announce that in all the paper advertising I purchase throughout the ear, I get more responses or returns from those who read the FCN than from the St. Louis Post, which I believe is not even a Missouri Owned Company.

Now I’m not saying this because I am trying to sell more FCN papers, but only to provide you the facts. I cannot comment on other businesses that advertise in the FCN. This is their right as owners and they may have other reasons why they advertise with FCN.

I do not know if Mr. Brockmeyer is a convicted felon or not. If what I hear is true, it seems he paid his debt to society and should be left to make a living like you and me. It is great to be from a country that allows individuals the opportunities to rectify or satisfy legal situations. I would hate to think that if everyone was judged by their mistakes instead of by their accomplishments, what kind of society would that be?

I have had many disagreements with editorials form FCN, the Post, our local St. Charles Chamber, our City Council, the Mayor, my suppliers, and my fellow business owners, in all cases when I have communicated my concern I made sure I had enough respect and dignity to sign my name. If you have future concerns or questions, I can be reached at my business 340 days a year. Respectfully submitted.

Davis R. Campbell, Owner
Little Hills Restaurant
Little Hills Winery
Little Hills Wine Shop

P.S. You cannot be a boycotter as says the return on your envelope. One can boycott, one boycotts, or one is boycotting.

An open letter to all citizens of St. Charles:

The first act I would like to see the new administrator strictly enforce is that any employee of this city is not allowed to participate politically in any city election. There is an ordinance on the books to this effect, which I would guess Tommy Mayer, the president of the Fraternal Order of Police and Dean Meyer, president of the St. Charles Police Officers association has completely forgotten about since being hired as policemen in our community. I think, also, the firefighters should be refreshed on this ordinance seeing how they have been involved in this – non-compliance with our city ordinances and or (law).

Lets look back at the Mayor’s primary when this newspaper had a threatening call concerning the mayor’s race and who the SCPOA was backing for mayor. Lets remember this was handled internally in the Police Department.

Then Tommy Mayer did not get his way and filed a $104 million lawsuit against the city council and the administrator but he excluded deceitful Patti. (Politics).

A quote by Dean Meyer (SCPOA) in an advertisement prior to the charter amendment, he said, “Like you, (citizens), most of us choose to live in this City despite recent political differences, we continue to work hard to ensure your safety.”

We know that most of you (police officers) do not live in the city and therefore do not vote in the city, pay taxes to the city, and all the rest that goes with living in the city and really becoming part of the community you work in.

Also, we wouldn’t be having political differences if the ordinance were being enforced. I would guess you all (police) being the enforcer should know well than anyone about being politically involved. To quote you again Mr. Meyer (SCPOA) you said in your full page ad that OFFICERS COMPLAINTS WERE FILED TO THE HUMAN RESOURCES DIRECTOR IN EXACT ACCORDANCE WITH ST. CHARLES CITY POLICY. POLICY STATES THAT ALL COMPLAINTS FILED ARE CONFIDENTIAL.

Were these complaints politically motivated? I would say so. So you can easily see if you the police officers of this town were not in violation of one of our City Ordinances u might get a judge to see it your way. It’s like you “73” got told, “You cannot have it both ways”.

I have no problem at all with our officers that live here in town taking a police car home. I do have a problem though with the officers (73) that are politically involved. Mr. Mare’s lawsuit is going to cost our city money to defend it. Your organization is spending a lot of your money for your full-page ads. Also, we cannot forget about Mr. Jamboretz and his fee for putting your full-page ads together and getting your organization the news coverage you need to DECEIVE this community. They tell me he’s really good at what he does. So expect some results.

As we look back now, I would venture to say that if deceitful Patti and Tommy Mayer would not have got hooked up and become politically active when they knew all along that this was against the law. I would not be writing this letter.

And for all the people that do not follow what’s going on in this town and say “H—- it’s all political” or “hey they all do it”, I would suggest watching the council meetings on channel 20 on Tuesdays and getting a copy of the First Capitol News and reading it weekly. You may be surprised at who is actually doing what and how much of your money is being spent and who its benefiting the most. If our tax money does not benefit this city as a whole there is something wrong.

Respectfully,
Bob Bredenstiener