Friday, January 28, 2005

MY SPORTS COLUMN

MIKE MCCURRAN
SPORTS EDITOR
FIRST CAPITOL NEWS

The buzz on radio talk sports shows seems to be centering around the “void” of sporting events now that football is over and the hockey strike and all. Heh, not here in beautiful St. Charles. We have the St. Louis Flight and Missouri River Otters to entertain us. Not only do we have competitive sporting events right here in River City, we have AFFORDABLE sporting events. Have you ever sat in a front row seat of a Blues hockey game? I for one know that I could not afford such a luxury – not so with the Missouri River Otters. For only $20 you can purchase a “Bob Uecker special,” front row seat. Better than that, if you shop around there are plenty of two-for-one coupons, meaning you can impress that special someone with front row seats. If hockey is not your favorite game how about checking out the St. Louis Flight, they too play their games at the Family Arena. I cannot even imagine what a courtside seat would cost in the NBA, hundreds I suspect. You can purchase floor seats for The Flight for as little as $17, American money. Not bad. Then of course there is always my personal favorite, high school basketball. Those in attendance this past Friday at St. Charles High School when the Pirates hosted their arch rival St. Charles West know exactly of what I speak.

When I began writing this column and started covering high school sports for the FCN I made it pretty clear I would avoid controversial subjects – and I think I have. One of the reasons I so much love athletic competition, especially youth and high school competition, is because for the most part it is pure and innocent. I try my hardest to avoid speaking with clichés, but youth and high school athletic competition s really are played on a “level playing field,” literally and metaphorically speaking. In previous columns I have mentioned how research has shown that athletics “attract those who possess a certain level of character, and builds upon it.” Such a statement sounds extremely attractive to me as a parent. Which brings me to my next point: how much “character” does it take for someone to mail “hate mail” to those who advertise in the FCN? I bring this up because it is hitting too close to home for me. I have been approached by some who read my column (yes there are a few of you) and said it adds a something special to the paper. Not only do they read and like the column, they wanted to advertise in the paper. What a country! Well it seems these well read advertisers, O.K., there is only one, but it is a start, has received what he called “hate mail” for advertising in the First Capitol News. As I took his phone call I knew not what to think or say. Finally I asked him: “does this mean you are pulling your ad?” “Nah,” he said, “this only lets me know my advertising dollar is going far. This piece of ‘hate mail’ only lets me know people are reading the paper.” Whew, I thought to myself, someone’s plan sure backfired. Anyway, I suspect the individual who is anonymously mailing the “hate mail” never had the character it took to play high school sports. The idea of hiding behind anonymity reminds me of another infamous historical group: i.e. the KKK. And that’s as political as I am going to get, promise!

I suspect most of you who were at St. Charles High School Friday night will concur, there is nothing like the rivalry be St. Charles and St. Charles West high schools. The gym was packed to the top with students and parents alike, and most all stuck around to the finish. Talk about bang for your buck, in the first game between the girls’ teams there were people standing from start to finish. In the second (boys’ varsity) game West started out and made it look like it was going to be a blow out, however coach Wacker and his troops fought back and make a game of it. I make mention of this because high school district basketball is right around the corner, some three short weeks. It would not be too much of a stretch to suggest the district finals might be a repeat of Friday’s intra-city rivalry. Of course Duchesne will have quite a lot to say about who makes the finals, which will be played at St. Charles West this year.

See ya next week!