Saturday, October 07, 2006
Case In Point By Joe Koester, Councilman Ward 9
I love America more than any other country in this world, and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually.
James A. Baldwin
The First Capitol News has been working on a crossword puzzle. Everything was moving along smoothly until they realized that the hints given for each answer were quite confusing due to their similarities. Take a look at some of the hints; maybe you can see what they meant:
1. Republican politician sentenced to 6 years in prison.
2. Republican politician involved in scandal steps down from office.
3. Republican politician involved in scandal drops out of campaign.
4. Money Laundering cost this Republican his seat in Congress.
5. Republican lobbyist involved in money laundering.
6. Impeachable offense committed by current administration.
1. Republican cover up of scandal may cost him his seat.
2. Republican cover up of scandal may cost him his seat.
3. Republican Congressman sentenced to prison for taking bribes amounting to more than $2.4 Million.
4. Republican charged with conspiring to corrupt public officials.
5. Electronic voting machine company whose allegiance has been linked to the GOP resulting in questionable election returns.
6. GOP supportive electronic voting machine company that has caused concern among fair election groups due to bias.
Personally, I think the public could definitely figure out this puzzle. Anyone who has kept up with the news (I know that can be difficult given the current state of our national news sources) would breeze right through this crossword, but the publisher and editor of the FCN said, “NO” so we’ll have to somehow simplify the clues if we want to see this puzzle in print.
For the record, the Republican Party has a grand old history. I mean, think about it, the Party of Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, and Eisenhower! I believe if these men were here today, they wouldn’t recognize their old Party. These three men were part of a progressive Party that believed in good government, not the emaciation of all government. Each of these three Presidents increased the role of the federal government by creating federal income taxes, by creating a national park system, and by creating an interstate highway system respectively.
The corruption that has tainted the Republican Party so completely after such a short time in power would sadden any past Party leaders.
I believe a culture of corruption has resulted from the Right wanting to rule rather than govern.
Just in case you need the answers to the puzzle:
Governor George Ryan
Illegal wiretapping of American citizens first believed to be only performed on international calls, later it was uncovered that Americans within our own boarders were being tapped.
Posted by Anton at 10/07/2006 01:40:00 PM