Sunday, February 12, 2006

THE PEOPLE SPEAK - Letters to the editor

Dear Editor

At a church service as a teenager I made a solemn pledge never to use, serve or sell alcoholic beverages. For fifty-seven years I have kept that pledge. Had I taken a job as a waitress in a restaurant which served wine would it have been acceptable for me to neither take the customer’s beverage order nor to send another waiter to take it? Should I have told the customers to enjoy their meal but to go elsewhere for a glass of wine?

As a checker at a supermarket should I have rung up all purchases except beer and told the customer to get in another line to pay for that? Should the customer have had to guess if any of the other checkers felt as I did and how many lines he would have to go through?

In each of these situations should my employer have been prohibited from firing me or from not hiring me in the first place? After all, just as a pharmacist who refuses to fill an order for Plan B, I would have been acting according to my deep personal beliefs.

Many will say that there is no comparison between this belief and abortion but I disagree. Alcoholism has ruined countless lives and the use of alcohol is responsible for the deaths of many. Besides, the issue is my personal belief, not those of the customer.

By permitting a pharmacy to refuse to fill a lawful prescription we are opening a can of worms. A man may believe that all women should have their heads covered. If that man drives a bus should he be permitted to refuse entry to women with uncovered heads. We could go on and on with examples of unintended consequences should we continue down this road.
Shirley Bryan
O’Fallon

To The Editor

In response to Mr. Sonderegger’s column of February 2, I don’t think the storm over Linda Meyer’s petition drive has anything to do with her right to petition or her longevity as a resident of St. Charles. No one questions her right to petition. It is her tactics which have come under fire. If Mrs. Meyer thinks Mrs. Greer has committed some crime for which she deserves recall, perhaps she should have found people with similar viewpoints in Ward 7, and together they should have gathered signatures. Red flags were raised all over the place when thousands of dollars, most of which came from outside sources, started flowing into the coffers of the campaign treasury (check their campaign report which is on-line at the MO Ethics web site at MO.gov.org), and people who are not part of the voting Ward were paid to collect signatures.

Another bothersome issue about this recall drive is that it was first initiated one month after Mrs. Greer was elected, long before she had committed the “crimes” of not voting the way some people wanted. I don’t believe recall was ever meant to overturn a legitimately elected official just because the election didn’t turn out the way the opposition wanted. If the Ward 7 people object to Mrs. Greer, there is another election next year and they can vote her out of office. That’s the way our democracy runs.
It cheats us citizens when a duly elected official has to keep campaigning for his office during his term of office rather than tending to the duties for which he was elected. I sincerely hope this situation will bring the issue of recall to light and that our city and state officials will re-examine the purposes and appropriateness of when a recall should be instituted.

As far as the Recall Committee’s consternation about the negative publicity they are receiving, perhaps they should have remembered the words of another Missouri politician before they entered the political arena, “If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen”.

Eleanor McCune

To The Editor

While the President continues wearing his rose colored glasses and attempting to mesmerize Americans into seeing through them, the State of The Union is disintegrating around us. We have a Government ready to continue the “War on Terrorism” by ignoring the real problems of border security, poor intelligence, threats from the actual terrorist who really did attack the U.S. rather than giving them a training ground to practice their skills on our troops and innocent Iraqi’s or giving us a real plan to deal with countries that truly do have armies and WMD like North Korea and Iran. We heard more about tax cuts for corporations and the wealthy being permanent, more about keeping America safe; how, by taking away our civil liberties, making sure a right wing conservative be made a Supreme Court Justice and spying on us secretly and praising Anti-Abortion protesters while ignoring the millions of women who protest for women’s rights over their own bodies? We heard rhetoric about education and today the House votes on bills that will make education nearly impossible for many with tuition going higher; we heard about the great economy without any mention of the highest national debt in our country’s history and it continues to climb (he never includes the debt caused by the invasion of Iraq) and all the while the oil company Exxon Mobile has made the highest profits in history as our gas prices soar. And we heard that 82 Billion dollars was allocated to help New Orleans and Mississippi recover from Hurricane Katrina when in reality most of that money, 62 Billion, has been tied up in bureaucracy and red tape with very little remaining for the victims and FEMA still has 65,000 people waiting for help with home trailers and over 200,000 are still spread out around the country without homes to return too. But there was one really impressive moment yesterday, the Police arrested and jailed Cindy Sheehan, an invited guest, for wearing a Tee Shirt not supporting the President’s “War On Terror”. Now that’s the America and the state of this broken union we are becoming accustomed to, makes you wonder, doesn’t it? If it doesn’t, it should.

Sandra M. Vago

Dear Editor

Last night I had a strange thing happen to me. I went to a council meeting. Meeting is a mild word to describe this. I took a copy of the agenda for the night’s meeting. Five or six sheets. The City Council is supposed to cover this(!) during the night. This agenda does not involve the back biting, yelling, screaming, arguing, pontificating that goes with each item.
It seemed endless!!!!

I went to the speakers podium to speak on some of the findings I found in the petitions. I would look up at the councilmen-two were talking to each other, the Council President was diligently writing something, Mrs. York was involved with something for the first minute. The others were attentive. I felt this was rudeness personified by some of the members. I had two more items when the buzzer went off but Mr. Riddler would not let me finish. SO THERE!!!!! At the end of the meeting they decided, rather Mr. Weller decided, this was a political matter and the city should not hear anymore speakers of this issue. I wonder if this applies to Mrs. Meyer or members of “Do the right thing.”

I can see why the city is so tired of this mess. They need to apply the brakes to a lot of this. The council members should be allowed to talk for only 5 minutes once on any subject. If you can’t say what you want to say in five minutes don’t talk until you get your thoughts together. Shorten the agenda. It is way too long for one meeting. A councilperson needs to be appointed to oversee that those meetings that were supposed to explain issues coming up happen. You need follow through. Packets of paper (looked like 100 sheets or more need to be given out four days in advance so people don’t have to waste time asking questions because they missed the meeting or didn’t have time to read the packet.

Ward 7 Constituent
Jane Horning

Dear Editor,

City Council got a surprise at this week’s meeting with the turnout of many Frenchtown business owners and residents opposing a bill brought forward by John Gieseke legislating eminent domain. Because of this being a hot topic lately in the news I think that John thinks perhaps this is the time to get rid of eminent domain entirely. There were several people there speaking against this bill, so council decided it best to table it.

This legislation has been on hold for awhile, so it’s perplexing why all of a sudden there is a pressing need for final passage just prior to Frenchtown’s request for a Chapter 353 plan. We now have a private developer who wants to come in and re-develop from French St. to Tecumseh. Part of a Chapter 353 plan we are seeking for this area would include implementing eminent domain where necessary. Don’t get me wrong, I am not a proponent for wholesale eminent domain, but if there was ever a case for it this is it. For years we have tried it on our own and we can’t do it. We have to have private monies to get the job done. We don’t want or expect the city to do it for us. What we do want and expect from the city though is to recognize and act upon this wonderful opportunity. We implore the city council to retain the tool of eminent domain in areas of serious blighting, which these blocks on N. Second St. qualify for on almost every count, and to implement the Chapter 353 designation. It is not likely that any developer will risk their money without this tool in place in case they need it. I would invite all interested people to come to council work session meeting Feb 13th at 7 p.m in council chambers. I don’t believe there will be an opportunity to speak at this meeting, but there will be a huge turnout there in support of the Chapter 353 plan, come on down, supporters will all be sporting red shirts, and perhaps you can be educated as to why this is needed for Frenchtown.

By the way, when I presented this letter to FCN, Tony asked me if I would sell my property if I were in the proposed blighted area and I said ABSOLUTELY! In fact, I wish I were in the blighted area, ( I have 2 commercial buildings in the 800 block of N. Second St.) I would love to have an easy and fast way to sell my property to get, in all likelihood, more than market value, I would consider it a good opportunity. To those of you in the affected area I would like to say this, Frenchtown is in trouble and I don’t see it getting better, we are heading towards becoming a bona fide slum area if something isn’t done and fast. I know some feel they don’t like being told what to do and that is understandable, but do consider that no one is trying to steal your property. I am sure the developer will do the best they can for you even to helping you find a suitable spot to relocate, and you can have the satisfaction of knowing that you helped a truly depressed area to blossom. I believe there are only a total of about 9 affected businesses, 65% of this area is vacant or abandoned. This is truly a prime area for re-development.

Delores Barton

Editor First Capitol News

I am sending this email to you to clear up some misleading comments made by residents at the Feb 7, Council meeting. I have enclosed the email that was sent as well as my response. It obviously got the administrators attention and the problem was resolved before the Feb 7th meeting. I appreciate the entire Councils support in this matter and on behalf of the resident of ward three, we appreciate their unanimous vote to direct staff to install the privacy fence in which I requested.

Dear Ms. Scoville,

First, let me address the breakdown in communication on my part because that is in my control. My office does a tremendous amount of business and on occasion, messages do get misplaced. I have a message dated April 25th from you and that message indicated that you would be sending me a fax. There is a follow up by my staff that states no fax had arrived by the end of business hours. So I did not respond because I was under the impression that you had something in writing for me to respond to. There is no record of the May 5th call in the phone log.

I am sorry if this caused a lack of communication. I have always taken pride in being easily accessible to the residents of my ward, and I apologize for the mix up. I was not invited to your last homeowners association meeting, and I understand that you lead a discussion about my lack of follow-up. I would have been at your meeting if invited and would have been able to address the issue. In the future so you, any resident of Southern Oaks, and I can communicate please call my office at 314-426-0419, home 636-896-9977, cell phone (636) 368-8359. This will take any message out of the equation. Anyone who has worked in an office place should understand that at times, messages get misplaced or misinterpreted. I have three phone numbers listed and only two phone calls to my office are referenced. There appears to be no communication from your board after the meeting with Mayor York and Dr. Williams.

I have been aware of the vines and the problems the association has been enduring because Dr. Williams had informed me of the meeting. Our City Charter requires me to go through the City Administrator with complaints and concerns. Since Dr. Williams had been aware of the concerns after the meeting scheduled with the Mayor and himself, I was under the impression that he was acting on it. After that meeting I have not received any follow up from him or your homeowners association regarding the issue so I thought it had been dealt with. After all Dr. Williams is in charge of these issues. It appears he did not place this issue very high on his to-do list.

Ms. Scoville, this is one of many instances in which the City Administrator has ignored the residents of Ward 3 and their needs. In your letter you state, “I am not pointing blame”, but you should be. You met and spoke with the administrator of the City of St. Charles. He and Mayor York both represent the executive branch of government and are responsible for the day-to-day operation of the City. Williams has a responsibility to address this problem and he did not. I hope now you realize my frustration as a councilman with Dr. Williams at the helm. He selectively picks where and who gets the services we all deserve. Southern Oaks is a beautiful neighborhood and you all pay your taxes. You deserve the services and a City Hall that cares about you. I am placing this item on the agenda for the Tuesday, Feb. 7th meeting for discussion. This will create a public record and hopefully this will move the city along.

As far as taking this to the oversight committee, Dr. Williams alone can get this cleaned up with a simple phone call to public works. The City is the owner of the property, not the oversight committee.

As you are aware I am in the midst of a recall. The Mayor and Williams have been active in the process. They have made it difficult for the residents of Ward 3 to obtain city services in an effort to create negative feelings toward me. I hope this helps the residents of Southern Oaks understand what kind of politics is being played.
I am sending your e-mail and this response to all the residents in Southern Oaks. I believe that this will go a long way in rallying the troops to call the Mayor and Dr. Williams to get this done.
Mark Brown,
St. Charles City Councilman Ward 3

E-mail sent to Councilman Mark Brown follows:
Dear Mark Brown,

I am president of the homeowners association for Southern Oaks Villa Homes. I have talked to you before and you have attended our annual homeowners meetings. On April 13, 2005 I sent a letter to the mayor and cc you in regards to the vines and trash on the side of our development that backs up to the convention center. I also called you and left a message at your work on April 25th and May 5th. I never heard from you. When Dan Nieland was our council member he and the mayor had worked with us on the convention center before it was built so that is why I started with her and sent you a copy also. The mayor called me back and set up a meeting with herself, the city administrator, myself and one of my board members (Armin Cassel). The meeting was on June 27th however the mayor had something come up at the last minute so we met with the city administrator. We walked the back of the convention center property and showed him the vines, trash, etc. that was along the chain link fence. The fence was put there by the prior owner of the convention center property (it is not our fence). We had a survey done of our property and showed him the property line. We want the fence cleaned up. The vines and so on are killing our trees. Also in the future we want the city to put up a privacy fence like the one that the other properties have that back up to the convention center. We were very cooperative with the city when they were building the convention center and we think that should count for something The city administrator said he would take this information back to the Oversight Committee (I understand you are on that committee) and get back to us with an answer. I called the mayor’s office on October 18th and again on October 26th. I still do not have an answer. I am not pointing blame on anyone I would just like this addressed. Can you help us with this?? Please let me know.

Sincerely,
Carol Scoville
President of Southern Oaks Homeowner Association