Friday, October 07, 2005

TE PEOPLE SPEAK - Letters To The Editor

Dear Editor,

I would like to inform the readers of the First Capitol News that the Petition to Recall Mayor York is alive and well and still ongoing. You may sign the Mayor recall petition at the Kathyrn Linnemann Library at Elm and Duchesne any Saturday between the hours of 10:00 A.M. and 2:00 P.M.

The library does not endorse, nor is it involved in, our group or its activites. The Library merely provides a “petition table” just inside the door across from the checkout desk for the (prearranged) use of any group circulating a format duly authorized petition.

If you feel so inclined drop by the library some Saturday and add your name to our growing list of signatures.

Glen Dashner

First Capitol News
Attn: Mr. Alex Spencer

THANK YOU!

For the first time, through thousands and thousands of words this is the first article that related the facts of the collision course between myself, St. Peters and Adolphus Busch.

From my first meeting with Mr. Busch it was about his way of life and what this development could do to the migration of water fowl. After our second meeting, as I was getting into my car, Adolphus Busch came over to me and told me he would run my name and political career.

Mr. Spencer, I don’t know about your sources but congratulations. Your articls is factual and entertaining.

Tom Brown

To The Editor

I am writing to express my complete opposition to blighting any area in the city for the benefit of Lindenwood or any other special interest. One only needs to dive down Duchesne Street or to look to the west from Auto Zone to see that Lindenwood has plenty of room to expand without taking any other property. I would like a larger lot myself, but I can’t blight my neighbors to get more ground can I? I suppose their next targets will be Plaza Bowl and Alfredo grill. Then it will be the remaining houses in the area, which they don’t already own. How many long time residents of Charbo Drive and neighboring streets moved after the school bought nearby homes and moved five or six residents into each house when the promised only three per house. Residents who didn’t sell out at first saw their property values drop.

How many people lost their business or homes for the First Capitol Re-alignment? Who has that benefited except the students who now park on the old street?  Who’s home will be next to be swallowed up by the university. If this blight were going to occur on Hastings or Adams Street or any other of your neighborhoods, it would be a dead issue. Lindenwood has got special treatment by this city at the expense of the residents for too many years.

As council members who are standing up to the developers and other special interests, I urge you to stand up to Mr. Spellmann and his tactics to keep swallowing up our neighborhoods. All citizens deserve the same respect of their property rights as someone who has more money. Enough is enough. Someday a future council may vote to raze your neighborhood. 

Thank you,
Mike Femmer

Dear Mr. Brown,
 
I too am in opposition to the selling/giving away of St. Charles to Lindenwood, or anyone else. Only one fact is necessary-running families out of their homes is wrong. I find it inconceivable that a city would force residents to move rather than encourage them to stay. I understand that we have no shortage of residents, but there’s a lot of homes that are now student housing that could easily be affordable homes for the less than wealthy. With home prices skyrocketing many of the Lindenwood-swallowed neighborhoods consist of smaller frame homes perfect for starter homes, and young families. I’m fearful that someday I’ll get that Lindenwood knock on my door telling me to take the money and get out or be swallowed and watch my investment disappear.
I live next door to Rory Riddler in a great section of Midtown, and often wonder if the council, and the mayor are completely void of sense. I’m not being disparaging, I’m just wondering how replacing a brick sidewalk on Main St (when the old one was okay), is more important than protecting our city from Lindenwood’s insatiable land hunger. Obviously, money and greed dictate our city’s business.
 
I have no idea how many students attend Lindenwood, but I do know that there are more residents in this city than students, yet somehow this city would rather cater to the few (um, one-Spellmann). It’s a private university, and while the level of academics is very high and a quality education can be had, it is a private enterprise that makes a few people a lot of money. The students increase traffic, road wear, accidents, etc. Sure, some revenue is brought in by them, but wouldn’t more revenue be brought to the city by taxpaying, employed, home-owning residents? These students don’t pay for our schools and roads, yet we give our city to them. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not opposed to education, and I’m very fond of my college memories, but I don’t recall the college running the town.
 
We allow the school to consume the city, and run over whole neighborhoods. But why doesn’t the city try to clean itself up? Why does it limit its potential? We are filled with gracious old homes, charming arts and crafts cottages and bungalows, and myriad more styles of architecture, but we (you, the council) would rather bulldoze it in favor of streets and student services. What exactly does the city get from Lindenwood in return for selling itself off? It’s not like we, the residents, get anything out this university being here. I don’t get a reduced rate on advanced education; I don’t have access to their facilities. But they have access to destroy my home.
Does the health department ever inspect all those homes that are “student housing?”
 
I grew up in rural Warren County, so when I moved here, closer to work, I had great expectations of living in this cool old town, in a real old house. I was disillusioned. I live now in the fear that I’ll lose my house, my investment. I couldn’t understand re-routing a whole street to give the school more parking. Did it improve traffic? Not really. I couldn’t understand how they could be allowed to buy up house after house. Build a dorm! Students in mobile homes? The whole thing infuriates me. Does anyone know how much land Lindenwood owns in this city and county? I want to know. I’m surprised no one has tried to answer that question. I think that would be a good starting point. I think the answer will be astounding. Exactly why does this school need to constantly be buying up land? What’s worse, not just buying up land and homes, but also running families out? Does this make the city better? How about building better systems for pedestrian traffic, clean up trashy lots and homes, supply aid to make old buildings great again, make people want to come to St. Charles, not run away from it. I want to see a map that illustrates all Lindenwood, et al, owned lots. Let’s get a visual aid for this. Let’s be frightened.
I’m getting mad, mad enough that I think my name will be on my ward’s ballot next election. I don’t know a thing about politics, I’m not gonna try to understand those machinations, but I know waste and greed when I see it, and I know the best way to fight it, is to spread the word.
 
Thanks for your time, and pardon my infuriated soapboxing,
Don Cwiklowski, Jr.

Mike McMurran,

The cross-country schedule for the area high schools is not included in the Prep Sports Calendar. Why? As an FYI, St Charles High has participated in four major meets this season. Each of these meets have included the majority of the high schools in the St Charles area plus dozens of schools from the surrounding area. Between 500 - 800 athletes have competed in each meet. Doesn’t this deserve a listing in the Prep Sports Calendar?
Gary Shelton

Dear Mike,

I enjoy your sports section, but (there’s always a but) I have one complaint about the Prep Sports Calendar. Cross Country is a prep sport also. Join us for the GAC meet at McNair Park if you have any doubts. See you there.
J. S.

Mike Responds
I couldn’t agree more, however...it seems the coaches of local cross county teams have failed to submit their schedules to STLNET, which is the resource I use to gather schedules. In the defense of St. Charles head coach, neither has West or Duchesne's coaches. Now that I know you are out there, I suspect I can get the Conference, District and State schedule. You do that, and I will get them some ink. Thank you for your attention, and thank you for reading the First Capitol News.

Editor,

What an excellent editorial written by Glen Dashner in the last issue of the FCN regarding responsible citizenship. Teachers at the middle school level and beyond would do well to incorporate it in their civics class to encourage students to research the issues and candidates before they vote for anything or anyone. Dashner’s article was thoughtful and well researched and was not critical to any faction in our community. He supported the recall drives of the Mayor and the two Council people as a right under our constitution. His article would appear to encourage us to base our position on careful research and not be swayed by innuendo and distorted accusations.
Carol Diller