Saturday, October 22, 2005

MY COLUMN - Mike McMurran Sports Editor

In typical Mike McMurran fashion I must start this week’s column with an apology, an apology to the two most recent high school athletes of the week. First there is St. Charles High offensive lineman Bobby Goebel, then there is St. Charles West soccer player Scott Naumann; Goebel I interviewed at Lindenwood University and Naumann at Trinity Catholic. In an attempt to save Bob Barton from driving all around town to take pictures, yours truly tried to take them – neither one turned out. I am known for making mistakes, well known at that. I think I am equally well known for not making the same mistake twice. This translates into that from now on I will rely on the professionalism of Barton for photography.

While I am at it, in this week’s edition you will find some Barton photos of the Gateway Athletic Conference – North Division cross-country meet. As promised we covered the event with Barton, however, trying to get the results of the meet is not so easy. I have personally left messages with at least one cross country coach and one high school a.d. asking for the results so that they might be published – I have yet to receive a reply. In defense of the a.d., who shall remain nameless, he has been nothing less than unbelievably supportive in the past – maybe, just maybe, it is just the nature of the beast that cross country is not given much attention. Maybe we will have better luck at the district meet.

How about something positive now? I was going to write about some terrible service I received at a local business – rude and as apathetic as possible, when my lovely wife suggested, “why not focus on the positive in life, if you must write about service, write something positive.” As usual, I will do as she suggests.

Columbus Day, me and my three kids, Tammy, Eric and Elizabeth Francis, Anne and Sean Coogan and Jane, Jack and Hannah Pruess decided to ride the Katy Trail. In the course of less than two miles, my son Dee’s chain came off his bike no less than four times. We were in trouble. Joining us on our trek was my boyhood friend Joe Santel, who suggested Dee and I stop at The Touring Cyclist on Main Street and have the bike looked at. So we did. Frankly, we were completely at the liberty of the employees; without their services our bike trip would be cancelled. The young man on duty grabbed a tool or two and had the bike fixed in less than ten minutes. When I asked him how much I owed, he simply replied: “Go ahead man, have a fun time riding your bike with your son.” He could have milked me big time – that is, he could of charged me whatever he wanted and I would have had to pay. Nice way to establish a customer base if you ask me.

Another good experience I had recently was a week or so ago when I was “closing” my pool for the winter. I have heard horror stories from people who tell me when they “open” their pools how green, or brown, or whatever color their water is, and how they must pay hundreds of dollars just to get back to ground zero. Not me. A gentleman by the name of Denny, I have no idea of his last name, tells me exactly what to do to my pool, and I do. During our conversations he has told me how repeat customer business is what he is after, and he would never guide someone down the wrong road. Now, what he suggests is not always the least expensive road traveled, initially that is. But in the long run, the employees of S & K Pools will save you time and money. You have my word on it. Furthermore, and this is something Denny doesn’t advertise, but I have picked up on – many of his employees are graduates of alternative high schools. This means Denny is willing to go out of his way to give a kid a chance. All of his employees are knowledgeable of the products, polite, and buy into Denny’s philosophy of return customers keep us in business.

Now, for those like Don Oelklaus and Amy Almus, both whom are regular readers, as well as regular complainers that I don’t stick to sports, both swimming and bicycling are sports – so even they should be happy this week.
ttt