Saturday, August 13, 2005

THE PEOPLE SPEAK - Letters To The Editor

Letters to the Editor:

I wish to state irrevocably that Tim Swope the City St Charles Police Chief is doing a fantastic job with his staff and wish him continued success.

I also want to commend Mark Brown for holding his cool at Tuesday’s Work Session when the Mayor wanted to debate a particular issue in his e-mail to Allan Williams. The City Administrator stated he had been on vacation and had not read the e-mail yet but would be ready to discuss at the next meeting. The topic was held until the next meeting on August 16th. The e-mail was addressed to Allan Williams with c.c. to Ellen Gordon, Rory Riddler, John Gieseke, Joe Koester and Dottie Greer only; no where was the Mayor’s name mentioned in the address. There was no mention on the agenda for public view regarding a particular issue the Mayor wanted to discuss. Could this possibly be another example of the Mayor’s interference with City business? Is a copy of all correspondence addressed to Allan Williams going to the Mayor? The Mayor apparently believes the charter amendment, due to become effective in April 2007, is already in effect for her when one considers some of the methods used at the meetings and during her news conferences.

I have done research regarding the announced short fall in gaming revenues by the Administrator, Mayor and Finance Director on June21st. At that time they stated an anticipated short fall of $1,100,000.00 in budgeted gaming revenues for 2005 was expected. First let me explain how the revenue is generated for City of St Charles. In my research I find the Missouri Gaming Statutes stipulate that 20% of Adjusted Gross Receipts are taxed by the State with 10% of that figure going to City of St Charles. Additionally of the $2.00 Admission Fee the City receives $1.00. The following calculations are derived from financial reports of the Gaming Commission available on their web site (www.mgc.state.mo.us/). The Adjusted Gross Receipts from those reports through July 2005 reveals a calculated anticipated revenue from: (1) Admissions revenue should be $6,083,154.00 from Jan. to July ‘05, plus an estimated $4,587,074.00 for the remaining five months of 2005 (estimated at a 3% increase for same period of 2004). (2) The anticipated revenue from Adjusted Gross Receipts should be $3,586,969.00 from Jan. to July ‘05, plus an estimated $2,436,970.00 for the remaining five months of 2005 (estimating a 2% increase for same period of 2004). The total Real Estate Tax and Personal Property Tax is estimated to be $651,290.00. This represents a grand total of estimated Gaming Revenue for 2005 should be $17,345,457.00 which is $525,457.00 more than the revised 2005 Estimate of $16,820,000.00. The budget amount was $17,650,000.00 meaning the short fall should be approximately $304,543.00 not $1,100,000.00 as reported. Makes one wonder if the motive behind the announcement in June was to alarm rather than inform. Therefore, some of the adjustments made by the Council to cover the short fall could be readjusted by year end as the figures become more precise in months ahead.

Rich Greer

Dear Editor:

As reported in last week’s FCN it appears that once again some person or persons having access to police reports of any city, municipality or state willing to use such information in a character assassination attempt have reared their head from the mire in which they and their associates hide. As is usual, the information is spread anonymously. It is also reported a member of a prominent law firm was seen slipping an unsigned letter into the FCN letterbox.

Where is the shame! Is there any depth too low to probe to destroy anyone with whom we disagree? Using anonymous letters or unidentified phone calls to the media or government officials for the express purpose of maligning others is cowardly. It might even be considered a borderline hate crime of sorts.

Carol Diller

Editor First Capitol News:

To the Editor of the finest newspaper in St. Charles and hopefully covering St. Charles County in the future.

After receiving a letter in the mail I decided to respond. To those who may agree with me I thank you. To those who disagree with me I thank you. But to those of you who are without courage to sign what you send in the mail voicing your opinion I find it nothing more than gobbly de goop! I can’t give the individuals who support Patti cake any respect because of their tactics of attacking people who oppose the queen bee by sending out information on family members and attacking fine Council members and have not ONE ounce of backbone to sign their garbage from out of their “cesspool.”

In answering their question, NO I have no intentions of running for Mayor! This I will tell YOU, I’ll be supporting the man or woman who runs against Patti cake and YOU will know who I am. This is America and the courage it has taken to keep us free is all the backing we will need to fight for any citizens, against people like Patti cake and her big money lackeys. (Oh by the way, I wonder why Patti cake didn’t drive her car home after attending Dan Gould’s celebration on Main Street Saturday evening. Hmmm. But her personal business is her own to deal with.

My big concern is her business actions concerning our City and the hard working taxpayers. Oh yes, let me say one more thing, not about Patti cake, this is directed to Mr. T.R. Hughes. Do you sell your homes to people of different faiths and religion or do you only sell to Christians? Seems to me you have a double standard – one for your personal belief-one for your big money bank account!

My family has been attacked like a lot of other good people, but I WILL sign my name.

Proud American
Joyce Bredensteiner

Letter To The Editor

Maybe I am a lot like you…

St. Charles is a great place to live filled with good people. It has been my modest home for over 20 years. I hope I have given a small bit back to the community through service on the Fair Housing Committee, the Library District Board, several civic organizations and my work in the human services field. Like many city residents I have a degree from Lindenwood, walk my dog in our beautiful parks, and enjoy the many festivals and events on our riverfront. I vote and a local Methodist church is my place of worship. I am usually in the middle on most issues yet feel strongly about a few.

Maybe I am a lot like you…

Like you, I have sat back on my fence rail and watched our community become a meaner place to live thanks to the antics of some of our elected officials and others. Allegations of this and that, half-truths, vindictive triages, and one upmanship seem to be the rule of the day. Common courtesy and respect for our elected offices and the individuals that hold them have gone by the wayside. Yapping, nipping and growling like a pack of animals is the new order. It is the true tradecraft of yellow journalism that simply writing something over and over somehow makes it true.

Now I don’t know all the facts behind the issues that are being bandied about town but I recognize malice when I see it and the vicious attack on Mr. Ed Watkins Christianity was the proverbial last straw for me. Like or dislike, agree or disagree but please, First Capitol News, leave the devil and Jesus Christ out of it. Your writings finally offended me enough to topple me off my fence to stand beside a man I know and appreciate for his faith and good works. Count me as a Citizen who has had enough.

Maybe I am a lot like you…

Mark Rudolph

Editor’s response.

No Mr. Rudolph you are not a lot like me.

Evidently you have never read the publication put out by Watkins even though you have described it perfectly.

As far as the devil in our publication, the item to which you refer is a paid ad by Councilman Mark Brown responding to false accusations made against him by Watkins.

No Mr. Rudolph you are not a lot like me.

I have never found it necessary to expound on being a Christian like you and Mr. Watkins. I have learned that it is not necessary for a true Christian to expound upon being a Christian. The way they live their lives and treat others is an indication of whether or not they are true Christians and in my opinion Watkins does not fit that mold. I have no objection to priests, ministers, pastors, rabbis, etc preaching their religion and witnessing to others. However when a layperson professes to do so I know we are in trouble.

No Mr. Rudolph you are not like me at all

Dear Editor,

Judge Cunningham slapped the citizens of Saint Charles in the face by allowing the prevention of annexation in Cave Springs by means of an illegally cast vote! Maybe next election a few miscast votes from Warren County will help send Cunningham packing!

Name withheld upon request for fear of reprisal.