Saturday, June 11, 2005

STRAIGHT TALK - Councilman Bob Hoepfner

Hello again out there folks. You know sometimes it’s hard being me. You know what? The more rocks, stones and mud they throw at me, makes me that much more determined to battle for the little guy. I understand another publication in town portrays me in a negative way. I find it interesting the people who have this other publication are taking shots at me and others in town which is fine. Everybody has their own viewpoint, as I said in my column many times, even if you don’t agree with me let me hear from you. However, these people don't put their picture in the paper, they don’t put their address in the paper, they don’t put their telephone number in the paper. However, these self righteous, self anointed phony crusaders try to undermine anybody who stands up for the little guy. I don’t want to have class warfare folks but this is the wine and cheese set attacking me for protecting and defending the little guy. Especially the older retired people in this town. You know, I have been trying to help folks out for three decades now. These people belong to their elite little clubs. Do you see them out on the streets? Do you see them sweating over a bar b que grill? Do you see them slipping and sliding in the winter time to help the average citizens not to mention the disadvantaged citizens. Sure, if you have a lot of money you can throw it at a lot of projects, but they don’t get involved personally to see it from the other persons side of the fence.

Well, I am part of the beer and brats, Saturday afternoon crowd. Even though I am retired, I have never forgotten my humble life style. I am not a person who is privileged.

Now you take this Judge who is trying to throw a little smear at me. You know, I can’t really honestly call him a Judge because I don’t think he measures up to the qualifications of a good judge. He is nothing more than a part time employee elected by the citizens of this City. I really think you need to (Judge?) study the law because if I am not mistaken, you hold two elected positions when the state statues says you can only hold one. Where do you get off not following the law while passing judgement on others? You know I think they once wrote a song about you by Jerry Reeves. In that song he states, “I want to take a little bit of your honor, because after all you got the gold mine and you are giving the citizens the shaft.” Now I think you ought to get off your pompous butt, get out on the street and discover the average mans plight and be able to balance your thoughts and show justice.

Because I had the audacity to stand up for the little guy and because you would have to stop feeding your fellow attorneys, easy money off the backs of the hard working individuals. You give attorneys continuances but won’t do so for the people of this town who elected you to office.I got news for you bud, I will debate you any place any time. Once again I want you to resign from the Jr. College Board of Trustees and/ or if you have any grace at all, being a municipal Judge in the City of St. Charles. Show a little class instead of running your mouth. Other than that my friend I have all the respect that a man could muster for someone like you.

Another subject. Wanting to know who we are voting for on these Mayoral appointments to boards and commissions. There are arguments on both sides. I personally believe that information should be provided to the Council and if the Council wants to interview people that is our right. We have a responsibility of knowing who we are voting for. That happens to be my opinion.

The Mayor likes to quote the Charter saying it says she makes the appointments. However she needs to read further where it says, with the consent of the Council. Just because we wanted to know more about the people she is appointing she gets upset.I am sorry I disagree. Flaws on both side. Brings back the question of the accusation of this fly by night publication who says, they don't know who I am battling for. If they don’t know they should keep their mouth shut. They are welcome to call me, stop by my home, talk to me. Really though, they don't know anything, they don't know jack squat.

Charleytown put your home address and phone number in the paper if you are so fair and balanced. Everyone knows who I am. You can twist it as much as you want. but let me tell you something brother, you can ask anybody in town and they will tell you, Bob Hoepfner has no trouble telling us his position on on any subject at any time. Maybe you are confused. You have no brainpower.I look out for the average guy paying the bills and being short changed every day.

Pay attention! my home address is 425 Nantucket or if you need directions call me at 949-0956 . I would love to have a conversation with you. I think it should be a televised debate on City Cable TV. I am willing to debate anyone who has criticism of me. We can debate before all the taxpayers.

God love you. God bless you all and I love you.

That means I have a lot of space in my heart for everybody including the pompous and the pure.