Saturday, May 07, 2005

MY COLUMN - MIKE MCMURRAN SPORTS EDITOR

There is justice in St. Charles County! Sphincter Boy was suspended for one game by the authorities of St. Charles County Youth Soccer Association. It is not exactly the punishment I would have given him, but then I would be the first to admit it is impossible to be objective about your own children. Since my daughter was on the field and thus subjected to his behavior, it would be impossible for me to be objective. Those who have knowledge of the progressive discipline policy have informed me should there be a next time, the suspension will be stiffer. Three times and you are banned for life.

One idea from paragraph one parents might wish to pay attention to is: it is impossible to be objective about your own children. In my two decades of teaching and coaching I learned just such lesson. Luckily for me I learned it prior to having my own children and allow myself to try and remove myself as far as possible from most situations. Never do I question a teacher or a coach in front of my children. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER! It only undermines the authority of the teacher or coach. So many times I have heard parents questioning coaches and teachers in front of their children; such behavior is a mistake. Say what you wish, disagree if you dare, the research will support me on this one.

This past week I found out first hand that a local celebrity is a regular reader of this column. That’s right, Pat Holt, international performer who makes her home right here in beautiful St. Charles whispered in my ear (that in itself was worth the price of admission) during her Just Kids performance at the Knights of Columbus Mother-Daughter Banquet this past Sunday morning, that she likes my column. Also present, yet not a confirmed reader was Sarah Kirtley and her lovely daughter Katelyn. The performance was moving, it really was. The highlight, at least for me, was the singing of Bob Strickland, son of Laurie and Jeff Strickland. This young man sang Frank Sinatra’s “Come Fly with Me” so well it left me humming the tune all day long.

My buddy T.J. Slattery let me know he appreciated the exposure given to youth soccer, he only wished it could have been more positive. In this week’s addition of the FCN we have included some of T.J.’s thoughts, reflections and ideas on youth soccer. Hey, only the best for our readers.

Because of T.J.’s article, I will hold off my story of the time a senior state representative from Florissant assaulted me with an aluminum baseball bat. Did I deserve it? Was he charged with assault? Tune in next week for the details.