Saturday, May 14, 2005

FIRST CAPITOL NEWS ATHLETE OF THE WEEK

First Capitol News Athlete of the Week

“I like talking to her, she is really a neat lady.” On Kathy McCoy, mother of his friend Keith McCoy.
Brian Randazzo, Senior, St. Charles High School

By: Mike McMurran
Sports Editor

Good things come to those who wait. St. Charles High senior Brian Randazzo has been waiting for four years to beat state powerhouse Howell – his patience has paid off. “When I looked at the schedule at the beginning of the season, the Howell game stood out as one I really wanted to win,” shared the starting catcher. Not only did the right-handed batter hit safely three times, he managed to score each time he reached base. A three hit, three run and one R.B.I. game has earned him Athlete of the Week honors.

Brian is normally a middle infielder, and that is where he will play next year for Jefferson College in Hillsboro, MO. This year he is catching for Head Coach Charlie Meeker. “We needed a catcher and I had a little experience behind the plate. Anything for the team,” he said.

Its that kind of attitude that originally warranted Brian’s nomination. Even before his game against Howell Brian was nominated for something he has been doing off the field. “Its really not that big of a deal,” he offers. Well, someone begs to differ that ‘it” really is a big deal. One of Brian’s friends is Keith McCoy, the young man from St. Charles High critically injured in last year’s fatal car accident. Brian has been visiting Keith, who is bed-ridden, “as often as I possibly can. I visit Keith and talk to his mom whenever I get the chance.” Keith cannot speak yet but “he is really making progress. He can clearly hear you,” boasts the young man of his friend since grade school. “His mom likes to talk about what’s going on here at the high school, she is really a neat lady,” Brian shared. “I wish I could get over there more, but with baseball and my college classes, well, I just wish I could get over there more.”
In addition to his defensive abilities, Brian’s .444 batting average is tops for the starters. He leads the team in hits (28), runs scored (28) and triples (2). “This team is the greatest,” he says of the Pirates. “Brad Bichel, Kyle Boschert and me have been playing baseball together since we were little kids. This entire season has been almost dream like – I wish it would never end, but I know it will.”

Brian lives with his mom and dad, Rob and Kathy Randazzo. “They are my role models. What more can I say? Everything I’ve ever needed or wanted, especially relating to baseball, they have made sure was made available for me. They have sacrificed for me, how can you ever pay something like that back?” His older sister Jamie attends Lindenwood where she is an education major. Brian wishes to study something business related next year at Jefferson.

Brian’s favorite eating establishment is Applebee’s, and his favorite entrée is their Chicken Parmesan. Of course Brian wouldn’t stop there. “They’ve got some kind of chocolate ice cream thing on top of brownie that’s great, I would have to have that for dessert,” he said. Indulge young man, you deserve it.

Editor’s note: Neither Kathy McCoy nor Brian’s parents nominated him for this award, which makes him an even more impressive young man.
To nominate an athlete contact Mike McMurran at mcmurran@charter.net or 314.280.9189